Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Kingsbridge - paint shop

This is looking great.I like the orange band with the step.
    If you paint the small round windows with satin black or satin varnish
    it would look more like glazing.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post

Hi Paul, Your very kind but I'm a 'complete novice' myself slowly and cautiously trying to learn this stuff. Noel

Well, if that's the work of a "complete novice"........ fair play to ye!

Excellent stuff!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Really crisp, patient job. Well done Noel

Blog Entries
    Nice job Noel, you seem to be taking to painting and lining like a duck to water. The "dipped orange" scheme was a classic as the As & Cs were re-motored while the Crossley enginned locos soldiered on in a mainly black scheme with white chevrons above the cabs and sometimes a small yellow warning panel.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

I've used a 141 chassis for the C class. Thank you for the encouragement guys, especially considering the pool of talent and experience from whence it came. Seeing what you guys have achieved inspires beginners like me to try and risk mistakes. Really enjoying the iterative trial and error learning process. I've had to acquire patience and spend time planning before lifting a tool.

Currently cutting up a 141 chassis to fit in her, which looks like it should fit perfectly once the redundant brake cylinders are removed from the 141 bogie front ends, or the bogies sides are replaced with the supplied resin ones. I'm loath to do that as the Bachman bogie sides are part of a snap fit unit that seals the gears from dirt.

Stripped 141 chassis with part of the metal chassis cut away at both cab ends.

Managed to adjust the ride height so she buffers up correctly with rolling stock. Chassis recessed into SF resin body shell using plastic stops.

The 141 chassis fits well and the bogies do not foul the front end of the loco when crossing points or on curves because the lead brake cylinders have been removed which gives clearance for bogie to pivot. Fuel tank will need some adjustment too.

In the cold light of day some blemishes become apparent, so either my mild tendency for OCD will force me to tidy them up, or I'll try and hide them with weathering.

Still trying to decide which way I will get the running lights working as this era of C class did not have head lamps. The MM chassis had tiny LEDs on two small cab PCBs and used clear plastic strips to transfer the light around corners to the outside of the 141 body shell. I may try fibre optic cable and reused the MM PCBs, otherwise 1mm LEDs placed through holes in the body where the moulded light fittings are.

Why cut up an MM 141/181?

Some might ask why I cut up a lovely MM 141 chassis for a mere Silverfox C class kit, but it was just cost maths, alternatives such as a pair of BlackBeetle 27:1 ratio power bogies cost nearly as much as a 141/181, yet I'd still have to fabricate a chassis, and a Hollywood Foundry centre drive chassis would have cost more than an MM loco. I really wanted a precision centre drive chassis with all wheel pickup and all wheel drive for slow running quality and prototypical behaviour when shunting, etc, and sacrificing an MM 141/181 made sense because it cost less but delivered all the goodies including all the electrics such as 21pin DCC socket, lights, speaker cradle, etc. Like many others I've been able to acquire baby GMs for anything between €80-105. I apologise to anybody who considers I have committed modelling heresy Also a B&T C class hauling loose coupled goods wagons or a pair of coaches for rural branch passenger traffic really appeals to me. If this works well, I will try another in flying snail Green livery.

PS: stripping the bachmann/MM chassis was painful and as complicated as doing a jigsaw in reverse - I had serious doubts about the wisdom of such a move, but as they say burn your bridges and there can be no going back.
    Last edited by Noel; 1 Day Ago at 03:01 PM. Reason: typo

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    A beautiful job overall!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Noel, I wish you all the best on this one, & I don't even know where you got that body of that loco from ! I feel you're going to where no man has gone before, bravery comes to mind.....but that's looking mega,
    Paul