Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingsbridge - paint shop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    What's the best chassis to use for a "C"? Also, even if not best as such, what's the cheapest and easiest?
    There is no drop-in chassis as such for the A or C Class,

Patrick's and Eoin's idea of a false floor & Tensodo Spud or Black Beetle motor bogie or preferably motor bogies is probably the simplest and most effective option particularly if you want a detailed interior.

Personally I would go for a Blackbeetle with the 28:1 gearing option rather than a standard Spud or Blackbeetle to avoid jack rabbit starting and supersonic top speed.

While the original Cs had a pretty bad reputation they seem to have been capable of hauling quite heavy goods & mixed trains on the West Cork main line and Valencia line.
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Many thanks, folks.

Yes, photos show them in front of very heavy loads - this can't have helped their unenviable reliability record!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    SF recommends these Hornby chassis for a plastic "cut and shut" job: Class 25 or 29 or 73, and the C class kit comes with instructions for cutting any of these three. However these are old style basic chassis (i.e. railroad specs) with only four wheel diagonal pickup and one powered bogie.
    You might try looking at American HO locos. Although I don't have the dimensions to hand, I think something like an F Unit chassis might be a good fit for the C Class.

Confession time - major boo-boo

All ready to go - or at least that's what I thought - after using grease proof paper as a backing to cut masking tape templates for cab fascia's

Disaster - major mistake 9" white stripe! I used the 3mm masking tape instead of the 2mm. Will have to start again, not happy.

Back to square one - redo white stripe properly this time

Not entirely happy but its an improvement - White stripe corrected to 6" scale height. She's nearly ready for the tan band.

Ah well, I hope I learn from my mistakes!!! Will try and finish this over the next week or so. Btw, this was done using 'Vallejo Model Air' acrylic paints. Pre-thinned straight out of the bottle into the air brush cup. The paint goes on easier and nicer than the Tamiya I've used so far.
    Last edited by Noel; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:08 PM.

A neat job,it will be nice when finished.

Great to see Noel. Worthwhile spending a bit on better masking tape ? Thoughts? R
    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Glenderg View Post
    Great to see Noel. Worthwhile spending a bit on better masking tape ? Thoughts? R
    Thanks Obi-Wan (Richie).

Is there a brand you recommend? So far I've been using Tamiya and Model Craft masking tapes (2mm, 3mm, 6mm, 10mm, etc). The Tamiya white 'curved' tape (i.e. for cab fascia) seems awkward to use, it just won't stick to anything.

Richie do you mind me asking what backing material you use to pre-cut tape into difficult shapes? I've tried grease proof paper, but it almost sticks too well to the tape, so getting the tape shapes back off it for transfer to model can be tricky.

Noel

Try a smooth clean piece of styrene sheet.

Noel, many thanks for all the info regarding paint codes, manufacturers etc. & your time & skill ! as you have shown not just me, a complete novice where respraying, weathering is concerned, what can be achieved by us mere mortals, now mind telling me where you suggest to get my paws on these paints & the various other items you have in your arsenal !!! Thanks
    Paul

C class progressing. Mask templates for front of cab (i.e. masking tape on grease proof paper for cutting to shape)

Almost ready for decals, weathering and varnishing. I decided to go for the narrow stepped tan band.

Just the red buffer beam and door flashing to paint, then decals, and a few bits to be added.

As per Richie's recommendation I have found the Vallejo paints a joy to use (model air). Like their bottles and caps cause you can measure fairly accurately by counting drops from the narrow bottle neck with minimal waste. The paint covers really nice and smoothly and seems the perfect viscosity for air brush use.

Quote Originally Posted by burnthebox View Post
    Noel, many thanks for all the info regarding paint codes, manufacturers etc. & your time & skill ! as you have shown not just me, a complete novice where respraying, weathering is concerned, what can be achieved by us mere mortals, now mind telling me where you suggest to get my paws on these paints & the various other items you have in your arsenal !!! Thanks
    Paul
    Hi Paul, Your very kind but I'm a 'complete novice' myself slowly and cautiously trying to learn this stuff. Few pot holes along the way, but really enjoying the journey. The Tamiya acrylics came from idmodels.ie and marks models, the Vallejo acrylic paints from everythingairbrush.com, and the halfords plastic grey primer from halfords. The veda airbrush and compressor from bartsharp.co.uk on Richie's recommendation, and for weathering the railmatch acrylics paints and acrylic thinners from howesmodels.co.uk. Mixing jars and masking tape (tamiya and model craft) from Marksmodels. Noel
    Last edited by Noel; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:09 PM.