Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballyglunin railway station

Ballyglunin railway station

New campaign to save Ballyglunin Railway Station, Station of The Quite Man. Enjoy!!

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/all...source=Mailjet

Quote Originally Posted by burnthebox View Post
    New campaign to save Ballyglunin Railway Station, Station of The Quite Man. Enjoy!!

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/all...source=Mailjet
    It is beyond me why Ireland still has so much difficulty taking advantage of this as a tourist attraction, preserving railways, or housing the likes of the Fry Model railway
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

I guess it comes down to having the man/woman power to make it happen and also a plan that can work and everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.

I have to say that restoring the station back to as it was in the film could be interesting as it is on a route that could be rebuilt at some stage.

Building a replica locomotives and carriage's now that would be something else, but it is do able, just ask the Lynton and Barnstaple railway in North Devon as they are doing just that.

It would make a fine model (now that's an idea)
    Last edited by Colin R; 26-05-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveController View Post
    It is beyond me why Ireland still has so much difficulty taking advantage of this as a tourist attraction, preserving railways, or housing the likes of the Fry Model railway
    This might have a good chance of success if it could milk the sentiments of the Irish American community, but much like the Irish themselves it may be all well meaning idle chatter with little opening of purse strings. Basically the "someone should do something" attitude.
    If it was GAA or Tidy Towns there would be no shortage of volunteers and people willing to roll up sleeves or throw money in the pot. ..but railways...not so much.

As an aside, one of the main locations in the movie, the cottage, is still in a ruined state after years of attempts at restoration and (typically) a legal squabble over ownership, all the while sightseers have been helping themselves to stones and other materials from it.
    Last edited by minister_for_hardship; 27-05-2017 at 07:37 AM.

A great reference for the shades of green used in CIE flying snail era

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    In my 25+ years involved in the financial side of both the RPSI and DCDR, there was a perpetual chorus of "why don't you restore X" and "it's a scandal that Y has been left to rot in a siding at Downwhiteheadpatrick". Worse still, "the DCDRPSITG says they're into preservation, so they have a duty to rescue the last Hunsletcraven".

It got to the stage where I could barely contain my thoughts at AGMs, while sitting at the top table fielding questions. The answers - the printable ones anyway - which I might have given would include....

Are YOU going to pay for it?

Where will the money come from, given that it isn't currently eligible for grant aid?

Will YOU spend every weekend, a fair portion of your days off and annual leave, plus you own petrol money, on working on this in all weathers?

Don't you think that a hard-pressed, necessarily under-resourced volunteer workforce have enough to do?

.....and so on.

The reality is, people across this island have very little interest in industrial heritage compared to other places.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Jon

HEAR, HEAR!

The number of times I've heard people say "wouldn't it be great to get No.800 out of the museum".

But ask them for a a few Euros towards it and ……….

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by leslie10646 View Post
    Jon

HEAR, HEAR!

The number of times I've heard people say "wouldn't it be great to get No.800 out of the museum".

But ask them for a a few Euros towards it and ……….

EGG-ZACTLY!

(I'll throw half a million into that 800 project once I've won the lotto. Who'll cough up the rest?)
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    EGG-ZACTLY!

(I'll throw half a million into that 800 project once I've won the lotto. Who'll cough up the rest?)
    800 is too heavy, so you'll also have to win the Euro millions lottery to pay for the upgrading of the track work on the Belfast-Dublin route