Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'class 800'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • vBCms Comments
  • Irish Railway Modeller
    • Irish Models
    • News
    • General Chat
    • Irish Model Layouts
    • Tips & Tricks
    • What's On?
    • Questions & Answers
    • Workbench
    • For Sale or Wanted
    • Site News & Help
    • Weblinks
  • Photo Galleries
    • Photos of Models
    • What's happening on the network?
    • Photos & Videos of the Prototype
  • Railway related Modelling
    • Bus models
    • Trucks, Vans and cars
    • Buildings and kits of buildings
    • Aviation & Maritime Modelling
  • Non Irish Railway Modelling
    • British Outline Modelling
    • US / Canadian Railway Modelling
    • Continental European Modelling
  • Shops, Manufacturers & Services
    • Shops
    • Manufacturers
    • Services
  • Letting Off Steam
    • Letting off Steam

Categories

  • Prototype Drawings
    • Locomotives
    • Freight
    • Multiple Units & Railcars
    • Coaches
  • RTR Models
    • Locomotives
    • Freight
    • Coaches
    • Multiple Units
    • Buses and Vehicles
    • Buildings
  • Resources

Calendars

  • Community Calendar
  • Irish Railway Modeller Calendar

Blogs

There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.


Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


Biography


Location


Interests


Occupation

Found 3 results

  1. Here is a new project for 2019, a Class 800 Gauge 1 built by Brendan Kelly, it's in the workshop for cylinder parts, valve gear, coupler rods, and bake system work. I couldn't resist posting up some photos- it's a beast You'll have to wait until after Christmas to see more.......... Eoin
  2. Another Class 800, this time it's 'Meadb' is in the workshop for completion- valve gear, break gear, wheel weights, some cab detail, painting & lining. As it came;- So I set about stripping down the chassis and came across a number of issues;- only two of the axle bearings were soldered into the chassis, the others had been super-glued in but all have come free to rotate with the axles- see photo of bogie above, their all loose to. The plunger type electrical pick-up system was very poor, some of the plungers were frozen in their housings and did not make contact all of the time. The chassis required a few more frame spacers- it was a bit bendy! So with a plan of action the frame spacers were made up from .5mm brass sheet in the 'L' shape for stiffness, a pcb copper clad pick-up board was cnc'd out- as I'm going with wiper pick-ups off this board- no stinking plungers! Holes drilled, M2 nuts soldered to the new spacers and the plate fixed with M2 bolts- this holds the frame spacers in when soldering them in the chassis. Spacers in, time to solder the axle bearings in. The coupling rods were cleaned up, to be used with the axle jigs to centre the bearings when soldering them in. I do this on a glass sheet with two rulers on edge to support the chassis by the axle jigs. Done. The cylinders were cleaned up after removing the old crosshead guide bars, the valve front end was drilled to take the valve rod housing that sticks out the front- done with 1mm dia brass wire locctite'd in. The valve back-end guides were cnc'd from .5mm brass sheet and folded up for soldering on. I came up with a lolly pop stick trick to hold these parts in position for soldering- a cross shape with a spigot that seats into the valve end and the parts clipped on? Worked a treat! The remainder of the valve gear was cleaned up and I noticed we're missing some parts- the Valve Rods and the Anchor Links! The link will be cnc cut from NS sheet with other parts later, but the valve rod requires a bit of machining- 2mm square bar was rounded up on the lathe with a file leaving a 3mm long square at the end, then cross drilled for a rivet, then .5mm slotted to create a clevis, after a bit of filing. I made these a bit fat as the holes in the valve housing are large. Wheels have been cleaned up and the wheel weights in .5mm brass being epoxied on. Eoin
  3. I'm doing the valve gear, wheel weights & break gear on a Class 800 Gauge O kit- no. 801 'Macha' for a chap. A lot of parts for this are not supplied with the kit so have to be fabricated and decided to experiment with cutting them out CNC style!! Some mods to the crosshead and cylinders is required as the kit seems to be based on LNER valve gear and the 800 was a little different I took many photos of the model and imported them into cad and worked out the design for the crosshead system, a chassis hanger assembly to hold the H frame crosshead bar that was more applicable to the class. I also worked out the break stuff from 800 drawings and then got machining.... This is the machine now installed in a dust/noise cabinet- it's hard still to stay in the room when the spindle is up at full speed But it's fascinating to watch the parts appear out of the sheet of metal, this is a shot of the break hangers, wheel weights and crosshead hanger assembly in .5mm brass and complete Break shoes in 2mm Drelin being cut out, this is easier on the ears as the spindle is running much slower and complete This is the crosshead H bar parts and distinctive 800 crosshead bracket in .4mm nickel silver as these wont be painted All worked very well, looking forward to sticking it together......... Eoin
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use