Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'resin kit'.
With Covid-19 affecting us all in one way or another, I decided it was time to get off the sidelines and dip my toes into a bit of modelling to pass the time and develope my skills! I had bought this SLNCR cattle wagon kit from Leslie (Provincial Wagons) at a show some years ago. I have no experience of building a resin kit, nor much more in the modelling world tbh. So following the instructions, and spending an hour or more each night over the last couple of nights, this is the end result! I have a small portable workbench, some sanding files, Swann Morton scalpel, steel right angle, tweezers, Loctite glue (the small 3 pack glues), good lighting, etc. With these I set about the task. I found it a really enjoyable experience, and learnt a lot from it - (this was a trial run for me before I attempt the first of 10 kits of the CIE cattle wagons, also from Leslie). So to some of the points I picked up, and things I would do differently next time: I should have painted the full buffer casting before fixing it in place. Much more difficult to do when it is stuck in! The gloss black also looks wrong I taped over the barrel of the buffers to keep the chrome appearance of the working element, but I failed. Ended up painting them all black. Pay more attention to aligning the sides and ends before gluing. There are gaps between the roof an the body which are noticeable on the ends. But this adds to the charm of the van in my view and i think I will leave it as is! The roof needs to be painted a darker colour - that will have to wait for another day when the shops are back open! I hope to fit Kadee couplings soon So to anyone thinking of having a go - just go do it! It is great fun and more importantly you'll learn a lot. There are lots of inspirational modellers on this site, and if I can develope a smattering of their talents over time to come then I'll be more than satisfied! All comments, tips, tricks etc welcome! Thanks Eamonn