Jump to content

Suspension of IWT Liner

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Given the news, felt this was worthy of a thread all of its own in case it might be missed or threaten to derail the original thread-  see below from @thewanderer

Hope this is only temporary....ūü§ěūü§ěūü§ě

Pictures from various locations between Clonnydonnin and Athlone, the main highlight being the IWT Liner which is shortly to
"be suspended until further notice" due to Dublin Port Company refusing permission for the train to operate into the Common User Container terminal due to congestion issues. It is estimated that the suspension will add 120+ trucks each week to the Dublin - Ballina road. The final liner is scheduled to operate on Thursday 10th
 June.

  • Angry 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Adding 120 trucks per week to the road to Ballina is just what you would expect from a Green Transport Minister in Dublin!

It should be noted that this appears to be solely a Dublin Port decision and slagging off the Transport Minister isn't really helpful to the debate. No doubt this will be raised at a political level and I'll expect some heads to be knocked together. If nothing happens, then feel free to slag off the transport minister!

 

For reference to the original post https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2021-Photos/June-2021/i-JbT4fnS

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Adding 120 trucks per week to the road to Ballina is just what you would expect from a Green Transport Minister in Dublin!

I didn't know Eamonn Ryan was ceo of Dublin Port. Its nothing to do with him - interesting decision by Dublin Port - wonder what the real rationale behind this decision is...no doubt Customs checking everything that moves is a factor at the moment - hopefully only temporary.

In fairness - rail has got a much better shake under the Greens than any other party at the moment - at least they are actively interested in rail and are pursuing active plans instead the usual platitudes from the rest of them...its no coincidence that Waterford-Rosslare has got a stay of execution , Corks suburban lines are going to be upgraded and things are looking good for foynes.

Not a greens supporter or even voter -as an airport worker - i have my own opinions on the minister for transport - but fair is fair in regard to his record on rail.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive me but how can the decision have nothing to do with the CEO? If that were to be the case, surely it would be a resignation issue? There’s clearly a pro roads policy operating within Dublin Port. Can you imagine lorries being banned on the grounds of congestion.

Stephen

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, StevieB said:

Forgive me but how can the decision have nothing to do with the CEO? If that were to be the case, surely it would be a resignation issue? There’s clearly a pro roads policy operating within Dublin Port. Can you imagine lorries being banned on the grounds of congestion.

Stephen

E. Ryan isn't the CEO of Dublin Port. That was the point being made.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked in the maintenance department for the (not mentioned) company that runs ocean pier, this where the liner splits in two to be loaded and unloaded, It didn't cause to much trouble or congestion in my eyes and I worked around them long enough , this however is mostly a political issue and the company I know would only love to get rid of the liner to expand the yard further move more tonnage and get more revenue, fairly obvious what's happening there. 

  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rob said:

Given the news, felt this was worthy of a thread all of its own in case it might be missed or threaten to derail the original thread-  see below from @thewanderer

Hope this is only temporary....ūü§ěūü§ěūü§ě

Pictures from various locations between Clonnydonnin and Athlone, the main highlight being the IWT Liner which is shortly to
"be suspended until further notice" due to Dublin Port Company refusing permission for the train to operate into the Common User Container terminal due to congestion issues. It is estimated that the suspension will add 120+ trucks each week to the Dublin - Ballina road. The final liner is scheduled to operate on Thursday 10th
 June.

Scary thing is during the suspension a risk they discover it might cost less to transport by road point to point than by rail. Didn't something like this happen to cement traffic after a rail strike many years ago?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Eh? 

Probably right there Noel bout the cost too.

Coca Cola uses rail  primarily to reduce its costs under the European Carbon Trading Scheme as  there was little difference in cost between using the IWT liner and road.

Perhaps some of the traffic may be diverted through Waterford Port with the recently reinstated Ballina-Belview Liner

An additional 25 trucks a day between Ballina and Dublin Port is fairly insignificant in terms of  overall road usage or Ireland's carbon emissions..

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have said this before and I'll say it again.

While it's true that Ryan has nothing to do with this suspension as far as may be assumed - I have heard straight from the horse's mouth that within both IE and the NTA there is a vehemently anti-rail attitude; for all we know, this may filter into Dublin Port.

If Ryan is indeed behind the stay of execution on the South Wexford, and the enhancements in the Cork suburban area, fair play to him. If he is behind any talk of resurrecting the Foynes line, likewise. However, he was also a government minister who - and I stand to be corrected - made not one peep when a commissioned report on the WRC, absolutely RIDDLED with errors and omissions deliberately designed to make the Tuam reconnection look completely impossible, was published.

I'm long enough in the tooth to remember the anti-rail policies of Stormont in the 1960s. There is at least a significant element of this type of attitude in governments in the south now, and has been for years.

If Ryan can bang their heads together and actually get serious investment in HEAVY rail brought from opportunist empty rhetoric by gombeen men councillors who know nothing of the related economic issues, then I will vote for the greens....... I hope he does.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a similar problem in NI where the top levels of the NI Civil Service are anti rail

 They oppose plans for more investment in railways such as Phase 3 for the Derry line promised for 2021 now put back to 2027 at the earliest

 Stormont says there is no demand to reopen the Knockmore line closed in 2003 on a temporary basis. Translink maintain this line each year to keep it open but without any services which is unique in Ireland

 Nichola Mallon the DFI Minister is all talk and no action. In the summer of 2020 she promised funding for a feasibility study for Portadown to Armagh line. Nine months later despite funding available the DFI and the local Council.have stalled all attempts even to appoint any group to carry out this feasibility study using Covid as a smoke screen! Rant over

 

Edited by airfixfan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mayner said:

Coca Cola uses rail  primarily to reduce its costs under the European Carbon Trading Scheme as  there was little difference in cost between using the IWT liner and road.

Perhaps some of the traffic may be diverted through Waterford Port with the recently reinstated Ballina-Belview Liner

An additional 25 trucks a day between Ballina and Dublin Port is fairly insignificant in terms of  overall road usage or Ireland's carbon emissions..

 

But not insignificant if you live along the route, especially when you get onto single carriageway sections of road.

Stephen

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, StevieB said:

What about the Tara mines traffic, doesn’t that use the same track to the same terminal?

Stephen

Ssssshhh! Don’t remind them it’s running, or they’ll find an excuse to close it! Rare daisies on the track, or a need for a Beauparc Greenway, or unsafe carbon emissions from 071s!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Noel said:

Scary thing is during the suspension a risk they discover it might cost less to transport by road point to point than by rail. Didn't something like this happen to cement traffic after a rail strike many years ago?

Its cheaper by rail currently plus its more reliable. Massive issues with supply of road drivers at the moment.

Edited by DoctorPan
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tara traffic only uses the first part of the Tramway before turning off into their own yard (unless somethings changed over the last 15 years) whereas the containers appear to have to be handled on the track in the road at the eastern end of the tramway. The video shows the loco running round the wagons on the tramway and then propelling them into the righthand  track of the Tippler shed

 

 

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • WOW! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the Tara Mines trains take the first track from Alexandra Road into their own unloading terminal- see photo from Eiretrains.

The container trains take the track on the left (eastern end) that continues into the port.

20210609_105727.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rob said:

Yes, the Tara Mines trains take the first track from Alexandra Road into their own unloading terminal- see photo from Eiretrains.

The container trains take the track on the left (eastern end) that continues into the port.

20210609_105727.jpg

 

See track.plan of Dublin.port from 2019 in reference to photo from Ciaran above in particular

20210609_112626.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Noel said:

How are the Tara wagons unloaded, do they drop their load through wagon floor hoppers into conveyor bunkers under the track, or are the wagons picked up and tipped over into a storage pit or belt?

They are done individually through a tippler which removes and replaces the lid and also moves them sideways after unloading to the left hand track. Wagons don't have any bottom or side doors.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rob said:

083 on the second last day of the IWT liner before the suspension tomorrow.

Usual 20 wagons but only GCA Tankers on the first lot- rest were empty.

20210609_184115.jpg

20210609_184657.jpg

20210609_185554.jpg

Any chance that TTC can have a word and arrange a special triple-header for the last ever port liner?

@ttc0169

You gonna start cycling down to Rosslare for liner photos, Rob? Give the legs a good auld stretch?

  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I wasn't able to get out today for the final (in its current form) IWT Liner, I made an effort to get out yesterday for the penultimate IWT Liner from Dublin Port to Ballina and managed to picture it at Cloncoher, Co. Offaly between Geashill and Tullamore. 

Plans to get the last up working from Ballina to Dublin were scuppered by other issues cropping up sadly. 

Click https://bit.ly/3gpUq7g to view all the images.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the ‚Äúlast‚ÄĚ IWT liner to operate to Ballina-yesterday¬†

Good to hear its resuming next week

Having been out of traffic for over a year locomotive 232 is seen here arriving into Ballina freight yard yesterday afternoon. 

3646F78C-C60A-4FCF-BE61-24F18FCE5D02.jpeg

Edited by ttc0169
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

This was the ‚Äúlast‚ÄĚ IWT liner to operate to Ballina-yesterday¬†

Good to hear its resuming next week

Having been out of traffic for over a year locomotive 232 is seen here arriving into Ballina freight yard yesterday afternoon. 

3646F78C-C60A-4FCF-BE61-24F18FCE5D02.jpeg

Great picture!   Also brilliant to hear both 232 and the IWT liner is back!!! 

Why was 232 out of service for a year btw?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the fact they tried to stop it shows the mentality of some within companies.

If ive got this correct they stopped it through port road congestion ?  or their crap management on the ground .

 

Regards Arran 

 

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely problems on the ground within the Port slower turn-round of container through the port as a result of a combination of Covid and Customs examination of freight arriving from the UK. Loading and unloading a 36 TEU train takes time and a lot of space, while trucks can queue outside the deport and depart immediately they are loaded.

Its possible that the decision to temporary suspend the IWT service was in response to pressure from the Health and Safety Authority, there were problems with 'congestion" in Alexandra Basin in the early 2000s separating cruise ship passengers from the ports freight operations and the HSA had to intervene.

The rapid partial re-instatement of the service indicates that Coca Cola/IWT put considerable pressure on the Dublin Port Company perhaps diverting their traffic through another port.

It will be interesting to see if Coca Cola and other companies divert more of their traffic through Waterford Port to achieve a quicker container turn-round than at Dublin Port.

Re-locating the ports container operations into the most congested section of the port seems odd (rather than developing the rail served facility developed in the 1990s) especially when it was necessary to re-locate the Tara and Oil Jetties and the dredging of contaminated sludge to allow larger ships to use the basin.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

This was the ‚Äúlast‚ÄĚ IWT liner to operate to Ballina-yesterday¬†

Good to hear its resuming next week

Having been out of traffic for over a year locomotive 232 is seen here arriving into Ballina freight yard yesterday afternoon. 

3646F78C-C60A-4FCF-BE61-24F18FCE5D02.jpeg

Was it 234 that had the cracked chassis?

Did they butcher her for parts to restore 232?

What had been wrong with 232?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use