A Class Drivers

Rate this topic

Fowler4f

Just something to note when I was in my gricing infancy in the 1970s  I always remember the older drivers who would have started as steam men in their driving careers standing while driving the A &C classes unlike the GM’s the A had fold up seats like the seats in the cinema, so it was common to see drivers standing leaning against the folded up seat . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fowler4f said:

Still waiting for an answer, 1 or 2 drivers. That’s all I asked !

1 Driver in one cab. 

Unlike BR CIE insisted on single manning with the new diesel locos and refused to allow a Fireman to ride on the loco with the driver or pay another driver to sit in the second cab.

In a broader context 2 or more people regularly ran rode in the cabs of CIE and IE locos, so two or more figures in the cab of an A Class loco is prototypical.

1. A "Snatcher Man" to operate the mechanical staff exchange apparatus on trains that ran non-stop through crossing places on single tracked lines like Dublin-Mullingar-Athlone, Rosslare Harbour to Waterford-Mallow and Limerick up to the late 1980s

2. Goods Guards on fully fitted Liner Trains that ran without goods brake vans until guards were eliminated in the mid 1990s. Drivers sometimes insisted that the Guard rode in the second cab because of poor personal hygiene or other reasons.

3. Inspectors, Trainee Drivers, Mechanical Engineering staff, Off duty staff travelling home at end of shift, Enthusiasts ( 3 people per cab max?).

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Place a driver in each of the cabs as they'll be operating in both directions.

Yes, and being at opposite corners, only the leading one will typically be visible. Having said that, occasionally a CIE member of staff might hitch a lift in a rear cab of a loco here and there........ I daresay it might still happen.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, and being at opposite corners, only the leading one will typically be visible. Having said that, occasionally a CIE member of staff might hitch a lift in a rear cab of a loco here and there........ I daresay it might still happen.

I can just imagine him standing by the track with his thumb out when he sees a train approaching......

• Like 2