Glenderg

Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

I'm pretty sure this thing was a conversion, though I'm not sure whether this happened in DSER or GSR days. It certainly has the body profile of a DSER vehicle, and one can just about make out a "D" after the number. I do know that the DWWR had a clerestorey-roofed dining car which survived in that form into CIE times, but was very heavily rebuilt. This may be it - I THINK it was No. 12, but I'd have to check - that would make it 12D at this stage. I never saw any evidence of HOW it was rebuilt, and to what purpose. Could this be the answer? If so, it's lost its clerestorey roof for one thing. 

12 was one of the longer length 50' bogie coaches and the only one with a clerestory roof. A 'saloon', she was used as a restaurant before being converted to  a second class iirc and then returned to her original usage a few years later. This was in the early 1900s and not sure what further modifications might have occurred later. 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

I am continuing to add views taken by HC Casserley & Gerald T Robinson to Flickr.

I like this view of ex GNR JT 91 at Broadstone in October 1960

img478 Broadstone JT 91 1960-10-23 GT Robinson

Flickr seem to be having financial problems! They say the site is losing 'millions' and are desperately trying to get people to re-new their pro subs early. Mine is due in June 2021 and they are offering to extend it for 2 years at pre-increase price.

All a bit worrying, I've already gone through this with the demise of Fotopic some years ago; if Flickr goes to the wall I don't think I will be starting again.

Ernie

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

All a bit worrying, I've already gone through this with the demise of Fotopic some years ago; if Flickr goes to the wall I don't think I will be starting again.

Sincerely hope it doesn't, many great selections of photos were lost to Fotopic never to be seen again. Flickr has so many excellent albums and collections of photographs which are priceless historically let alone photographically that it would be a tragic loss.

Particularly of many people, understandably, are put off from starting again from scratch.

I saw that on Flickr. So many threads on this site alone were ruined when this happened with photobucket and now all you get is that terrible logo in lieu of the photo.

Thanks for continuing to post that GNR steam.I do hope Flickr will continue. Its very irritating to have to do it all again (so if that were to occur so we'd only need you to put up the Irish ones! @Irishswissernie). Yes, I just left and my coat is following no doubt .......

Edited by DiveController

This Casserley image might be of interest to carriage devotees!

1955-04-12 Cork  Rosslare boat train HC img391

1955-04-12 Cork  Rosslare boat train HC img391

from HCC's notes 57'-6'' 12w dining car 353 D10 gaslit wdn 1968

Ernie

• Like 3

One of the "Rosslare Express" set built 1906 for Cork - Rosslare boat trains via Mallow & Waterford.

Sister vehicle of the RPSI's 12-wheel brake tricompo 861, currently undergoing gradual rebuild at Whitehead.

There were VERY few 12-wheelers in Ireland!

I've been looking at Mike Shannon's negs this morning now held by Dave Dunn. They have suffered a bit since the 1960's but are quite interesting. I have uploaded some at Belfast Central Junction including some interesting P/Way maintenance and also a view of the SS Ballygarvey at Bangor Quay. One of Kellys coal boats there's nowt of railway infrastructure in the shot as the B&CDR didn't serve the quay. However its a scene crying out to be modeled but with a siding for coal trucks rather than the lorries. Probably one of Ballygarvey's last trips as she was scrapped in 1965.

109 Bangor Ireland 03-05-64 (Mike Shannon)  109 564 Belfast Central Junction WT ca1964'5  (Mike Shannon)  564

Ernie

• Like 1

SS Ballygarvey - Thats a lovely ship!

S S Ballygarvey

Samuel Kelly set up business on Queen's Quay Belfast in 1840 - initially as a "grocer and commission coal merchant". By 1861 Kelly owned his first ship, and from then until the 1980s, the Kelly Fleet carried the names of Kelly and Belfast around Europe with "Kelly's Coal Boats" becoming part of language in Coastal towns around Britain. The ships serving with distinction during two world wars.

When Samuel Kelly died in 1877 aged 57, control of the business passed to his 37 year old son John Kelly after whom the present day parent company John Kelly Limited is named.

In 1911 the firm became a limited company and, a few weeks later, took over the rival company Wm. Barkley and Sons Limited. This was the beginning of a process of growth and acquisition which resulted in the company becoming the most prominent solid fuel importer and distributor in Northern Ireland.

The business prospered under John Kelly who built a substantial trade using the fleet to bring coal to Northern Ireland. The company diversified to take account of trends in domestic heating and entered the oil business with their first road tanker in 1983. Steady growth followed with the oil business being introduced to other coal depots until Kelly Fuels became one of the largest oil distributors in the province. In 1993 Kelly’s merged with Lanes Group Limited, another significant player in the oil and solid fuel markets and used the name "Kelly Fuels".

In 1997 the acquisition of Bruce Lindsay Coal, based in Edinburgh and the Highlands of Scotland made Kelly Fuels the second largest solid fuel distributor in the U.K. The company continues to grow.

Ships

• Like 2