Glenderg

Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

The next part from 9 May 2000 now uploaded to flickr. This depicts the shuttle arriving at the Junction and 164 running round. 160 on the 'bubbles' then appears from Waterford and continues across the main line and on to Limerick City. Finally the weed spray gang take advantage of the dearth of trains in the bay etc to spray the tracks either by hand or using a tractor. 2-6-0 461 dead in the down sidings had failed on its way to Cork (I think)

AS USUAL sods law has given this video a black thumbnail so please just double click and then click the icon

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

More of Limerick Junction 9 May 2000, 20 years ago - it only seems like 5 years but apparently this is a symptom of old age! 164 arrives and departs  again on the shuttle and 226 on the Cork - Platin Bulk cement mts drops off a wagon into the up sidings for servicing at Limerick works. This was  a regular routine and I videoed it a few times over the years.  A 141 would trip the bulks to and from the works. 

Again double click and then click to get the whole 4:3 images.

• Like 4

Todays offering from 9th & 10th May 2000 includes bagged cement at Limerick Junction, then off to Drogheda for 077 on Tara's 134/176 come off the Gypsum from Kingscourt and go on shed and 149 arrives from Platin with 1 bubble and some bagged cements .

After adding the latter to the gypsum wagons 149 retrieves the bubble and in the next video (tomorrows probably) goes on "shed".  There are also some scans taken by the late Ken Groundwater of spoil trains etc at Carrickfergus.

Click (s) on the image as usual!

• Like 1

2 more videos from May 2000 now uploaded.

Drogheda with 149 and a bubble , GNRI  171 passes south then back to Limerick via Thurles with some freight shunting and ECS work in the late evening sunshine.

Lastly if you are a fan of Class 37's , especially the Cornish China Clay variety then you might like this video. Displayed as a link to avoid  up-setting General Motors enthusiasts!🙂

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/49887062746/in/dateposted-public/

• Like 2

Pure Gold. A friend of mine is living in Drogheda, so whenever I'm down that neck of the woods I'd drop into MacBride station. If you're very luck you might catch a Tara Mines coming in on the Navan Branch, or an 071 stabled there. Nearly unrecognisable now when you look at that footage.  

• Thanks 1

Latest 2 videos on Flickr are: I've added them as a link rather then embedding them

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/49897040887/in/dateposted-public/    Limerick Junction - Limerick City May 2000  This also shows the crossover at the platform barrier end being used to run round (It had gone a few months later)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/49899693088/in/dateposted-public/    Limerick, Limerick Junction, Mallow & Cork

Too make up the loss of tantalising part images of the videos this 'eye candy' has also been added

402 Cork October 1960 GT Robinson

img493 Cork 402 1960-10-25 GT Robinson

131 arriving at Connolly 1959 JG Dewing

591605 131 Dublin Amiens St 1959 JGD

Other Irish images have also been added, there are a fair number still to put on flickr.

Ernie

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Ernie,

With that last picture by J. Dewing, you have made an old man very happy. It is not an 'Enterprise' but one of the Belfast-Dublin stoppers which No. 131 would have taken over at Dundalk. Assuming from the shadows this train is arriving late morning, then it must be the 08.15 Belfast-Dublin service. The carriage behind the engine is a 'C 2' All-First, then the 'B 1' Dining car No. 402 (GNR number), then a 'K 15' open second (probably tabled as a support vehicle for the diner) and then five older wooden bodied carriages. Perhaps someone else will comment as to whether 8 carriages on this working was the weekday norm in 1959 or whether this is a Saturday working?

I note from previously published photographs credited to John Dewing that he was in Amiens Street station on Saturday 16th May 1959.

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1

Another video instalment uploaded from May 2000

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/49908303827/in/dateposted-public/

I have also uploaded a number of photos of WT 55 being re-railed at Portadown ca 1963/64 taken by Mike Shannon, now  DR Dunn Collection. 

Link to this one https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/49908234461/in/dateposted-public/

This one displayed below and 2 more links underneath it

515 Portadown re-railing WT55 ca1964'5 (Mike Shannon)  515

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/49908234546/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/49908234591/in/dateposted-public/

• Thanks 1

Really enjoyed that video clip. Thanks for posting. Relatively our railways carry hardly any goods anymore and the once impressive Waterford complex nowadays seems reduced to an almost wayside halt for boring trams. Progress I suppose.

Edited by Noel
  • Thanks 1

I have been picking up the odd negs and slides recently. Can anyone identify this view? I think its of an Irish station but it may well not be!  Slide dated May1986

EDIT Identified as Ballymote.

img006.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie

my money is Ballymote on the sligo line.

the Shelter on the Left Platform is quite distinctive - it and the Water tower are all that is left today from that picture - CIE have long got rid of that unique Signal box and goods shed at the end of the main platform - the loop is lifted and the track has been re-aligned.

Check out Google maps at street view on the bridge on the other side of the Station................I thought it was Cloughjordan on the Ballybrophy - Limerick branch at first - same gentle sweep into the platform - but nothing else tied in.

Ed

Edited by Edo