David Holman

Clogher Valley Project

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2020 at 8:53 PM, David Holman said:

DSCN3551.jpeg

DSCN3553.jpeg

The parallelogram loop (offset exits, equal sides) really does add flow to a layout, where the more prototypical trapezium loop (inline exits, unequal sides) would look much too compressed.

So alongside the principle that offset mitigates linear compression (eg: Minories) maybe we should add that a loop only looks as good as its shortest side?

Edited by NIR
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

It’s probably in Euclid somewhere....qualified by Freezer’s First Law...

Edited by Galteemore
  • Funny 3

Mr David 

The layout is amazing and would make me want to make a model of the Dublin and Blessington railway as it reminded me for some reason. Keep it up:-bd.

Seem to remember the track plan mostly evolved around the use of Y points, rather than the usual left or right. In Cyril Freezer's booklet on track plans for small spaces (mine is priced 2/6, which dates me somewhat), at the back are 10 generic plans where he showed how a six foot terminus could be reduced to 4' 6" by using all Y points.

The result is contrived to say the least, but Y points can be useful. On Belmullet, the turnout to the goods shed is a Y, but the Marcway version, where the distance from the toe to the clearance point is just 12" on a 6' radius point. A Peco Y in 0 gauge is the same as as left or right hand point, where the distance from toe to clearance is more like me 18".

So, used carefully, Y points can be good space savers, likewise slips and three ways, though these were much less common in Ireland where space mostly wasn't a problem.

• Like 1

Had an email from Railway Modeller today. My article on Fintonagh, with excellent photos by CM Editor Andrew Burnham, will be in the June edition of RM, due out next Thursday.

• Like 9

Hi David,

my copy of the June '20 Railway Modeller has just arrived, and I just had to say that Fintonagh looks absolutely superb (as expected!).

Well done, sir, on another fantastic layout!

With kind regards,

Mark

Just had me scuttling into the workshop to check!

The fiddle yard is slightly different as the line to the exchange sidings doesn't go on to the turntable now. Tried it, stock was liable to fall off when being turned at shows. My fault, as that was on the sketch I gave them.

The only other thing I can see is that the track from the turntable goes straight into the shed, which is therefore at an angle to the platform. There again, it is not unknown for me to miss the glaringly obvious!

11 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Just had me scuttling into the workshop to check!

The fiddle yard is slightly different as the line to the exchange sidings doesn't go on to the turntable now. Tried it, stock was liable to fall off when being turned at shows. My fault, as that was on the sketch I gave them.

The only other thing I can see is that the track from the turntable goes straight into the shed, which is therefore at an angle to the platform. There again, it is not unknown for me to miss the glaringly obvious!

Hi David,

It may be me (probably is!), but isn't the connection to the exchange sidings shown trailing instead of facing (or vice versa!)?

Not that it matters, it's a fabulous layout and I do hope to be able to see it in action one day!

Kind regards,

Mark

You are indeed correct Mark. The line to the exchange sidings comes off the loop and wagons have to then reverse off that into the front siding.

Fairly sure I supplied the correct plan, but these things happen and am certainly more than happy with the article as a whole, especially Andrew's photos. RM and CM have come on a long way in recent years - some of my first articles, back in the '90s had only small pictures, with no colour either.

The fee is very generous too. £35 for each page, which considering I only supplied a sketch plan and the text, to me ain't half bad and is already reinvested in a new loco kit!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

You are indeed correct Mark. The line to the exchange sidings comes off the loop and wagons have to then reverse off that into the front siding.

Fairly sure I supplied the correct plan, but these things happen and am certainly more than happy with the article as a whole, especially Andrew's photos. RM and CM have come on a long way in recent years - some of my first articles, back in the '90s had only small pictures, with no colour either.

The fee is very generous too. £35 for each page, which considering I only supplied a sketch plan and the text, to me ain't half bad and is already reinvested in a new loco kit!

Hi David,

There's no doubt that the article and photos do fair justice to your superb modelling, and the fee is a nice little bonus, I'm sure!

I hope you'll forgive my little observation on the track diagram, though - it was a combination of OCD and worrying that I'd completely lost the plot (again!).

Kind regards,

Mark