Sign in to follow this  
Mayner

Narrow Gauge in the Rockies not quite

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, popeye said:

Nice job, will there be a platform?

Not in the Irish or British sense. Basically a boarded area at track level at the front of the depot, similar to the existing decking. 

The replica Dolores depot is a mirror image of Orphir, it was built as a starter project by the local community (pop 900) before they took on the restoration of RGS Motor 5 and a short demonstration track.

IMG_0968.thumb.JPG.fdcae4e90f44193479b48699680756b1.JPG

Unfortunately we were running late on the day and did not get a chance to check out the museum, I will have to go back sometime and spend more time in the area.

file.php?1,file=8870,in_body_attachment=

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

Ran what was probably the last trains of 2018 yesterday, mainly because I needed to use the staging yard as a workbench for some work on a new N gauge layout, but that's another story.

I have been experimenting with JMRI Panel Pro ---Operations to create manifests and switch lists for freight trains in preparation for regularish operating sessions. Seems to work despite the limited number of cars with trains loading to 70-80% of capacity, one of the advantages of large scale is that its easy to read the numbers of the carsūüôā

688027272_463E17Nov18.png.c24ac0b80409dd7cc4620004fb846f7e.png

Manifest for a way freight (pick-up goods) train spends a lon-ng time of the road!

IMG_3700.thumb.JPG.c7b6e7ccbffb329846ed4154691ca7d1.JPG

Yesterdays schedule required 3 locos K27s 2-8-2 463 & 464 for the long distance freights, C19 2-8-0 for switching and trip working out of Jackson City and all available freight cars.

348 has cleared the yard and made up two freights for departure and waiting to depart with a caboose hop to collect stock cars and gondolas from towns further up the line.

463 has backed on to her train on the departure road 464 is coming off shed and will work the next westbound freight.

IMG_3703.thumb.JPG.8afdcfcb68f5d55fffaac81f9f050242.JPG

348 passing Arboles on caboose hop will pick up stockcars on return. I have got to sort our some screening between railway and grotty shed junk pile in background. 

IMG_3705.thumb.JPG.e883fa2bcff94d1be04ca63791e9244d.JPG

Meanwhile 463 is working her way westwards with a train of stockcars and boxcars. Trains carrying livestock and perishable traffic had a higher priority than general freight traffic.

IMG_3710.thumb.JPG.94813662c465f814808f60b446663d9f.JPG

348 has turned and is now working back with a train of gondolas and a flatcar. The dwarf wall includes a large broken plant pot which looks a bot like part of an old furnace or coke oven.

The plantings in the background were added about 3-4 years ago, the large trees were supposed to be slowing dwarf plants!

IMG_3713.thumb.JPG.174d3daee56a87acc7aca5a3aad6464c.JPG

348 has attached the 3 stockcars to her train which puts her well (60%)over the load limits for the high line in the background for the run to Placerville (the staging)

IMG_3715.thumb.JPG.72caf8e32046c0947df2cd3b87c7666d.JPG

464 & 348 ready to depart Jackson City.

On arrival 348 uncoupled from her train, switched a cut of 4 cars stored on the main line to the departure road clearing the main for 464 to couple on to the recently arrived train.

464 then departed followed later by 348 (didn't want to chance leaving her outside overnight!)

The pattern of operation is similar to the DRGW Black Canyon line during its final years of operation, 2-8-0s were the heaviest power allowed through the relatively level Black Canyon section on account of light bridges and trestles with 2-8-2s workking trains at the eastern and western end of the line.

IMG_3719.thumb.JPG.728f333f4edcebdfb0cefe61a1f798a7.JPG

Starting to put the trains away! Large Scale staging tracks lower level, baseboards for 4mm Irish layout at intermediate level storage above and below. N Gauge baseboard plonked on top of large scale turntable.

• Like 2

Oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classical mishap while turning 348 yesterday just as 464 was waiting to be flagged into the yard.

IMG_3722.thumb.JPG.f41cba7a40200eb637c4f00f49e7b6fb.JPG

348 just rolled forward as she was being turned, luckily she did not roll the other way and fall onto the floor.

• Like 1

I had one that hit the floor, i was afraid to look but it was brass and just one corner bent, easy done. :mad:

On 12/31/2018 at 1:53 PM, popeye said:

I had one that hit the floor, i was afraid to look but it was brass and just one corner bent, easy done. :mad:

I guess its the greater mass but large scale locos and stock tend to be more fragile than OO or N. 

I had to re-build the pilot beam of 348 after she fell from a raised section of line about 7-8 months ago.

I find the more gentle you hold something the more chance there is of dropping it.

I dropped a wagon once but quickly grabbed it but i broke many bits in the grab, i should have let it fall. :mad:

I finally got around to ballasting the main line through Utah Junction following the track re-lay. Ballasting is basically a much more expensive scaled up version of small scale loose ballasting techniques using screened stone chips and 50% diluted concrete bonding agent. Glue applied using a large syringe and a length of clear plastic tube rather than an eyedropper¬†ūüėĄ.

IMG_3773.thumb.JPG.dae04c277f938fc2cbeb5b0f506f7eae.JPG

Waiting for some rain to wash away the stone dust from the rails and sleepers.

IMG_3771.thumb.JPG.dbd5e44686d53651aa22df3792ea9685.JPG

IMG_3778.thumb.JPG.63f190e000db2677c64f9dc42b1b445c.JPG

Big improvement in overall experience , though I need to build up the ground around the water tower. There is a noticeable bump/change of level in the main running line opposite the water tower where I replaced a decayed section of decking/track support. I  improved cross levels on  a section of the main line in this area where the cross levels were badly off leading to excessive swaying and pitching as trains ran through at not quite speed.

The area in the background has started to revert to bush https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_bush  with self seeding shrubs and trees (including a Tasmanian Blackwood and a Sweet Gum) in the 10 years since a large gum tree in this area fell over fortunately not landing on the railway. The pencil pines by the water tower were planted about 5 years ago to provide more "scale" foliage, in the foreground a dwarf box hedge is taking over the area between the edge of baseboard and main line.

• Like 2