Noel

Kingsbridge - workbench

Rate this topic

Almost finished. 4 x MIR Irish Cement Pallet Curtain wagons. These were considered modern in 1974 being custom made and fitted with brakes, but at least they are two axle wagons and did not have dreaded freight bogies. :) EDIT they were originally drop sided wagons and were later converted to curtains because of maintenance issues with the drop sided door mechanisms.

IMG_9849.jpg

Just have to paint the aluminium strap tensioners grey

IMG_9857.jpg

On duty behind B165. I quite enjoyed these MIR kits which had a two week holiday interrupting their completion.

IMG_9856.jpg

Tempted to try some MIR drop sided kits to go with these.

PS: One of the springs flew off the knuckle joint of one of the kadee couplings. That will be fun replacing tomorrow. Will need a microscope and 1/200 the scale tweezers! :)

Edited by Noel
Corrections
  • Like 7

Couldn't help a few tweaks. After some buffer beam bits were added (vacuum pipes, coupling hooks) tail lamps added for this wagon. Strap buckles now painted and buffer grease. It never ends, but that's half the fun.

IMG_9860.jpg

IMG_9862.jpg

Now I'm going to padlock the door. This is locked. (hmm electric tail maps with wheel pickups from DCC via a few components, bridge rectifier chip, capacitor for flicker free, etc, - No! STOP :)

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

4 hours ago, PJR said:

Superb workmanship, the weathering really make them

Cheers. Initially the weathering went horribly wrong when I realised that weathering powders do not take well to gloss finishes (ie the curtain side had been gloss varnished). But found another way of making them look used and hiding the pristine look. 

• Like 1

Next up when I'm strong enough to tackle it. Convert this £17 eBay DT into something vaguely resembling a CAF Mk4 DVT with the 'duck face' to work between these Tony Mirolo resprays below and 222.

IMG_0177.jpg

The razor saw, scalpel and files will be busy. But I like working with plastic. Getting the 'duck face' and 'humpback whale' look will be challenging. The re-painting will be the less awkward pit.

IMG_9964.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rob said:

I look forward to seeing the DVT, so rare!

Cheers. Its been staring back at me all week looking for attention. But It'll have to wait a few days yet till I'm strong enough to use a razor saw, files and a scalpel. 

• Like 1