Jump to content

Glengarriff + my former Irish models/layouts

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Its a Tank engine and therefore carries its water in the saddle tank and coal in the bunker behind the cab rather than having a separate tender. Looking at the instructions (I don't use DCC) there is space in the boiler to fit a chip which will need to be cold wired, OO Works do not provide this service. I notice that whilst the loco comes with a 12 month guarantee for manufacturing faults fitting a DCC chip also voids the guarantee.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drowes River Bridge basic painting now completed.   

The Drowes River viaduct at Four Masters Bridge is now awaiting painting. Its still in 7 separate pieces to facilitate painting. Just chanced putting a wagon on it rather than a pair of 121's Con

Today I decided to run the layout, I think over the last 12 months I have only run one train so whilst waiting for the glue to set on the latest tree-bashing I gave the fertilisers a run and one train

Posted Images

I was tempted, summoned all my strengths but failed. Should arrive next week, I will report my happiness factor. PSSSST there seems to be only 1 green one left and 2 grey ones. Mind the stampede!!!!!    Just to say I have no connection with 00 Works except as a customer

Mick 

:trains:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My happiness factor is very high! In the hand said green 0-6-0t looks much better than photographs and it weighs enough to pull more wagons than I will ever need. My only puzzlement is what is the small hole in the front top of the saddle tank? Its an odd place for a washout plug. I shall contact 00works.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see the CBSC tank earning its coal. Nice Beyer cab windows - can see something of a family likeness to the Welshpool and Llanfair locos here 

3E848EB7-0A39-4A92-AB5D-BC8E3E6B0DD9.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more progress on the bridges board.

After I had built the original baseboards I decided to push the bridges board back a few inches so that the radius of the curve from Five Bridges station could be increased. This has introduced a 'kink' in the back drop, now filled in, which will be hidden by trees in due course.

2021-04-11 (1).JPG

2021-04-11 (5).JPG

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Some more progress on the bridges board.

After I had built the original baseboards I decided to push the bridges board back a few inches so that the radius of the curve from Five Bridges station could be increased. This has introduced a 'kink' in the back drop, now filled in, which will be hidden by trees in due course.

2021-04-11 (1).JPG

2021-04-11 (5).JPG

Love the old road bridge on the left. How did you make that up?

The stone buttresses are a good detail - I know a bridge just like that on a very rural road in Co. Mayo, which is believed to be almost 300 years old.

On 21/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mike 84C said:

I was tempted, summoned all my strengths but failed. Should arrive next week, I will report my happiness factor. PSSSST there seems to be only 1 green one left and 2 grey ones. Mind the stampede!!!!!    Just to say I have no connection with 00 Works except as a customer

Mick 

:trains:

Meant to ask earlier - is there room for a DCC chip in those locos?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 28/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, Irishswissernie said:

. This is the road bridge at Four Masters under construction. This will form the backdrop to the girder railway viaduct which is planned to have an open deck hence it will have to be built before any tracklaying on the extension from Glengarriff can be laid

DSC06834.JPG

DSC06840.JPG

Described in this post from Feb. The prototype was damaged in a flood a few years ago and Donegal County Council advertised on the net for tenders to re-construct it. They also posted scale drawings showing the work to be done which were roughly followed so the dimensions are fairly accurate although if the prototype had been re-built to the same standard as my handiwork thenthe Council Building Inspectors  wouldn't have been very happy!

  

 

On 20/3/2021 at 1:05 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Its a Tank engine and therefore carries its water in the saddle tank and coal in the bunker behind the cab rather than having a separate tender. Looking at the instructions (I don't use DCC) there is space in the boiler to fit a chip which will need to be cold wired, OO Works do not provide this service. I notice that whilst the loco comes with a 12 month guarantee for manufacturing faults fitting a DCC chip also voids the guarantee.

 

 

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mike 84C said:

I was tempted, summoned all my strengths but failed. Should arrive next week, I will report my happiness factor. PSSSST there seems to be only 1 green one left and 2 grey ones. Mind the stampede!!!!!    Just to say I have no connection with 00 Works except as a customer

Mick 

:trains:

Now the CBSCR green one is sold out, and probably only one GSR grey one left.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

He is still listing 4 on E Bay 2 each of grey 472 & 475 but I would contact 00 Works direct to try and avoid Vat duplication etc or have them  deliver to a UK address.

Yes, I've actually just emailed him!

I am in the lucky position of having a bona fide address in the UK (Wales) as well as here...... I can get stuff delivered to either.

  • WOW! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Having spent the last few weeks identifying and annotating 2000 negs, not much progress to report on Four Masters although I have completed the basic plaster work and work has commenced this week on the Drowes River Grain Company Warehouse which will disguise the right hand exit to the fiddle yard etc. This is a fairly complicated plastikard structure which is situated at an angle next to the backdrop but at least the windows will all be just wooden boards so no sashes etc to be made. There will be a sack hoist to the 3 floors to be added next.

2021-05-04 Four Masters Mill (1).JPG

2021-05-04 Four Masters Mill (3).JPG

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use