Glengarriff + my former Irish models/layouts

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

16354150041707464504109029771752.jpg

Progress, of a sort.

The third van is lagging a touch behind the others as its sides had warped somewhat. A soaking in hot water then spending overnight clamped in a vice between bits of plywood appears to have sorted it.

Edited by Brack
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 1

Done a bit more after the kids went to bed. Details on and given a spray.

I used the last of my can of Halfords CIE gray, down to fumes, but just about got there.

Tomorrow I might get the decals and weathering on. 

20211029_011333.thumb.jpg.c8a7d62e8b1483eb07bcddcbd1a1951c.jpg

We should really have come to see you at the end of the week Dad, rather than on tuesday! Still, your birthday/christmas present is sorted!

Although I still need to make some sort of trolley for you little works line.

• Like 7
  • WOW! 1

On 14/10/2021 at 11:34 PM, DiveController said:

You deserve some play time away from the Archive (but we do enjoy it!)

Going to have a couple of days living in the railway room 10th November as I have to isolate after my  Covid Swab until an Operation 2 days later so need to check I have enough modelling supplies. Had a notification that A3r is on its way but still nothing regarding my green A42. At least it looks like I will have a cattle special to run. 

Four Masters fiddle yard is now operational and the remaining track for the goods yard plus Alum Bay station (which will function as loco holding sidings in Irish running mode) plus a link to a planned North Eastern Railway coal drop cameo should also be laid.

• Like 6

Bit of a pain today with the cattle wagons - the snails curled up and wouldn't stick, despite attempting to persuade them with carrs transfix and others. I haven't had any trouble shoving transfers straight onto halfords grey before, but these definitely aren't cooperating.

Plan B involves a coating of klear on the area first, and I've ordered some microsol/microset as I've heard others swear by it. So there might be a brief hiatus until they turn up.

It was all going a bit too smoothly!

As an aside, the cattle wagons are a vastly easier build than the corrugated wagons - there is a lot of drilling, but a pillar drill makes light work of it. I only broke 1 drill this time too.

20211029_181101.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

On a slightly more depressing note, bought some microsol/set, put a bit of klear/gloss varnish on the surface (which has had a week to dry).

Tried twice more on the snails.

This happens every time:16364078707665660214751504078005.thumb.jpg.c6eb15c6786139146ef19cf15672eac0.jpg

They curl up into a tight little roll.

The transfers look fine on their backing, but I've made a lot of models, with decals from loads of different sources and never had any do this before. A bit of silvering, or old decals tearing, but none that literally curl up away from the surface whatever you do.

16364080079063794619144648062631.thumb.jpg.1fe4e95d20d27ca86c0c4091c3d00e82.jpg

This is from the other week - decals went on fine.

Might try and paint one. Or 3D print a stamp or stencil!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brack said:

On a slightly more depressing note, bought some microsol/set, put a bit of klear/gloss varnish on the surface (which has had a week to dry).

Tried twice more on the snails.

This happens every time:16364078707665660214751504078005.thumb.jpg.c6eb15c6786139146ef19cf15672eac0.jpg

They curl up into a tight little roll.

The transfers look fine on their backing, but I've made a lot of models, with decals from loads of different sources and never had any do this before. A bit of silvering, or old decals tearing, but none that literally curl up away from the surface whatever you do.

16364080079063794619144648062631.thumb.jpg.1fe4e95d20d27ca86c0c4091c3d00e82.jpg

This is from the other week - decals went on fine.

Might try and paint one. Or 3D print a stamp or stencil!

Idk what transfers those are but ids say it’s not worth the hassle of trying to make them work

aside from a sketchy pack of snails I got from eBay, I haven’t had too much trouble with transfers 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 1

No 1,  better off putting these onto a Gloss Surfacem your grey wagon looks matt.

I find you cant mix sol/set with Klear, it goes milky when together. Use an Enamel gloss varnish or Alclad gloss coat.

It could be that the decals are probably too thin for the Red bottle, Maybe just try the blue, Pat down with Kitchen Towel. When it dies then coat with clear. 

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

It might be worth while trying Humbrol Decalfix rather than Microset and allow at least one week to allow any trapped moisture to evaporate before applying a clear sealer.

Microset may be too severe Railtec Transfers recommend Decalfix which has worked well in finishing our rtr 3D printed brake vans.

I use Gunze B523 "Mr Super Clear UV Flat" aerosol(misted on from a distance) for finishing wagons and locos as Testors Clear Cote is no longer available.

Batch building wagons I allow a minimum of one weeks drying time after applying decals in a room with temperature and humidity control before finishing.

Thanks for the suggestions. The wagons are painted Matt, but I'd used klear to gloss the area for the transfers, which usually works for me. Will have to have another think. Perhaps several layers of klear, a fresher bottle, or a different gloss varnish. I've always used klear as it is thin, bomb proof in terms of not reacting with other paints, and cheap. It works really well to seal in fiddly transfers like archer's rivets.

It's weird- not known transfers that both desperately want to curl and have no desire to stick either, and I've used some ancient ones in the past!

Will give it a few days to think.

Alan are these the transfers that Leslie supplied with the kits? I've found the Railtec ones I'd lost in the pending negative scanning box so you can have them. The kits were hanging about in the loft since before Covid so the adhesive may have suffered some kind of damage from the heat in Halti's tropical summer heatwave. 

Yes, they're just those ones.

12 hours ago, Galteemore said:

They aren’t Methfix ones by any chance ? 

Don't think so - I've questioned myself enough - at one point I wondered if they were press fix as the top surface seemed to want to stick more than the bottom. Obviously the snail would then be the wrong way around, so that isn't the case, but perhaps I wasn't thinking the clearest when I was working on them past midnight!

• Like 1

I have 4 LMS old Main line cattle wagons which I have slapped some grey paint on and I might try whilst isolating putting some of the Railtec snails on them plus I have an idea about using some real cow dung which I can collect tomorrow before my Swab to weather them up realistically. The question is does Halti cow dung look the same as Sligo dung!

• Funny 1

I'm back in the land of the living. Here are the results of my days in self isolation. I also did a few running sessions which confirms that as usual my track laying is up to its usual crap standard so I have endeavoured to ensure that the new sections are up (or should it be down to) to the same standard. I have also ordered a Bachmann Ffestiniog Double Fairlie -  well your only on this planet once. The plan is to put a 5'-2' board above the fiddle yard between Glengarriff and Drowes River but 12 inches above it and do a roundy roundy on that.

Here are some views of the last few days handiwork.

2021-11-11 (5).JPG

2021-11-11 (8).JPG

2021-11-11 (11).JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I spy a Double Fairlie lurking! I'm sure its a very good model but I am resisting all temptations. My only need is to join the third side of my baseboards then I can have a roundy roundy!  But I need to get rid of some Stuuuf!. Books on American narrow gauge anyone? Sorry I've hijacked your thread. 😎 Mic.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

But I need to get rid of some Stuuuf!. Books on American narrow gauge anyone?

Join the clan! I've a pile of American narrow gauge books as well especially those in Maine and Colorado. I couldn't resist the Fairlie and I've also got 2 of the Peco FR England locos on order. I can put a 5' x 2' roundy roundy at approx eye level above one of the Glengarriff 'hidden' end boards.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have started constructing the station buildings for Four Masters but unfortunately having run out of Mek Pak attempted to use Liquid Poly which stinks so having put away the parts have now switched to forming the hillside behind the station. The NHS have thoughtfully supplied the framework although I don't think they had this down as a pre-requisite.

DSC07326.JPG

DSC07325.JPG

• Like 2

On 21/12/2021 at 3:08 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Some wagons arrived from John Mayner in New Zealand today; I wasn't expecting these until next year! 

There has been some progress on Four Masters station but havn't much energy at the moment and its a bit nippy in the loft.

2021-2-20 Four Masters (3).JPG

2021-2-20 Four Masters (1).JPG

Nice to see that your wagons arrived though I could have sworn they set out behind B125,seem to have dropped off a container of BMC parts somewhere along the way.🙂

IMG_2226.jpg.fcdff0264c5b90bb99eeea191eaddfa6.jpg

• Like 3