Glengarriff + my former Irish models/layouts

Rate this topic

42 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

plus Alan has now completed the Provincial wagons cattle trucks

Family effort - I got beth to paint the snails and numbers as she has steadier hands, then eleanor did the washes and weathering on two of them (under supervision).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 7:07 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Propelling wagons into the Mill siding. I just missed the train arriving from Ballyshannon and managed to catch a view of the loco on the bridge as it reversed in to the siding with the 3 wagons.

Same as happened on the Barrack St branch in Dundalk right until the end….

• 1 month later...

Having cleared the decks of several thousand negatives (well nearly - some 100+ Irish due this week) I think its time to crack on with Ballyshannon S&DJR aka Alum Bay and to this end the board has been moved from the loft to my den where I can at least sit down whilst constructing buildings etc. I have more or less worked out buildings etc so hopefully can now crack on with construction.

2022-05-31 Ballyshannon Exchange S&DJR aka Alum Bay.JPG

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think its some kind of Barytes. There are huge deposits along both shores of Lough Melvin. The first deposits were discovered near Garrison which is now in Northern Ireland and thus when the S&DJR was built it subsequently ended up being a cross-border railway and remained independent. The Garrison branch was truncated in the 1950's and no longer crosses the Border, however the S&DJR remained independent working its own lines until the mid 1970's sustained mainly by the mineral traffic. As the steam locos wore out Irishrail diesels increasingly took over the traffic working particularly as after partition freight traffic through to Ballyshannon and County Donegal had grown. The S&DJR owners have now contracted all traffic working to Irishrail.

Whilst writing this rubbish I should perhaps also point out that the Glengarriff in the above photos is the Glengarriff at the mouth of Gleniff and not the one in County Cork which appears in many of the earlier photos on this thread. The two stations are remarkably similar though.

• Like 4

Ernie

Garrison Branch?

I wonder if my Dad used it much getting to his barrack at Garrison as a constable in the RUC in the late 1930s and early years of WW2 (that bit is true!). Model railways are great - we can make the story up as we go .......

The layout looks great. That river bridge is very nicely done.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/7/2022 at 8:33 AM, Irishswissernie said:

The Magnesite wagons redundant after the closure of Ballinacourty were transferred to the S&DJR and here we have a couple of views of 036 at Glengarriff and on the Drowes River Bridge with one of the first trains.

52231054884_689025c06c_b.thumb.jpg.f48b51aff4f3c48120281a984b36cf91.jpg

What a fantastic shot. Love it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

Rumbling dis-content on the S&DJR!

In the 1960's the S&DJR management were intent on sticking with steam power and had picked up ex GNRI 205 on withdrawal by NIR. The loco was a favourite of the then Loco Superintendent and was restored to its GNRI livery and properly maintained. A few years later he learnt that NIR had withdrawn UG 0-6-0 49 ex GNR 149 and accordingly, as mechanically he thought it shared many features with the 4-4-0, he persuaded the Board to acquire it too rather than invest in more expensive new diesels.

Hurriedly placed into service it soon became apparent that 49 or 9 on the S&DJR was basically past it, however increasing traffic and some difficulty in hiring further CIE diesels meant that it had to soldier on. S&D Loco crews were becoming increasingly dis-contented with having to continue with steam, especially when comparing their lot with colleagues on the diesels and No. 9 bore the brunt of their disenchantment.

The writing for steam was on the wall and here we have No 9 paused whilst shunting the local trip, sharing a brew with their luckier mates on A3r.

2022-08-09 Glengarriff (Co Sligo) S&DJR 9 + CIE A3r.JPG

• Like 10

Excellent. 49 was a real pet loco in the last days of steam and very smartly turned out on occasions, complete with white buffers. The two UGs were the last tender locos to be in steam in NI in company service. Photo link from Flickr 

Adelaide shed. Loco 49. 12.7.65

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

On 9/8/2022 at 6:50 PM, Galteemore said:

Excellent. 49 was a real pet loco in the last days of steam and very smartly turned out on occasions, complete with white buffers. The two UGs were the last tender locos to be in steam in NI in company service. Photo link from Flickr 

Adelaide shed. Loco 49. 12.7.65

I remember them well! My last sighting of them was the two of them parked up together in Adelaide, I would guess maybe 1966.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:21 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Rumbling dis-content on the S&DJR!

In the 1960's the S&DJR management were intent on sticking with steam power and had picked up ex GNRI 205 on withdrawal by NIR. The loco was a favourite of the then Loco Superintendent and was restored to its GNRI livery and properly maintained. A few years later he learnt that NIR had withdrawn UG 0-6-0 49 ex GNR 149 and accordingly, as mechanically he thought it shared many features with the 4-4-0, he persuaded the Board to acquire it too rather than invest in more expensive new diesels.

Hurriedly placed into service it soon became apparent that 49 or 9 on the S&DJR was basically past it, however increasing traffic and some difficulty in hiring further CIE diesels meant that it had to soldier on. S&D Loco crews were becoming increasingly dis-contented with having to continue with steam, especially when comparing their lot with colleagues on the diesels and No. 9 bore the brunt of their disenchantment.

The writing for steam was on the wall and here we have No 9 paused whilst shunting the local trip, sharing a brew with their luckier mates on A3r.

2022-08-09 Glengarriff (Co Sligo) S&DJR 9 + CIE A3r.JPG

This has sent me down a nice byway. UG 48 was sent to York Road in 1967 to assist 27 in pilot duties. On steaming, however, it was too far gone to be of any use. History repeating itself perhaps, Ernie! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Class 201 appear occasionally on the Sligo & Donegal line. Here is 203 with a Fertiliser Special crossing the Drowes River.

I have decided to concentrate on 2 eras steam/early diesel and circa 1990-2000 so 3 Class A's and a 121 are for sale in the ADVERTS. The latest batch of fertilisers have finally arrived today in the UK outback; (unfortunately one wagon had a broken bogie pivot in the box so I will be contacting IRM to get it sorted.

2022-12-12 Drowes River, 203 heads a Fertiliser Special (1).JPG

2022-12-12 Drowes River, 203 heads a Fertiliser Special (2).JPG

• Like 14