Gort Station

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, DERAILED said:

Not Noo Yawk - nearer to home - and can be viewed at Dromod unless it has been flogged to somebody.

GORT.jpg

Does anybody know what font in MS-Office is closest to the Irish Gaelic GSR type face?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Window frames done and re-roofed. Lots more still to do, fascias, gutters, brick chimney, steps, ridge tiles, painting, weathering, etc. There is also the option of the white lean-to at the north end

The basics are starting to come together. Hopefully will be able to test run some stock in a few weeks (ie as an electrics check pre-ballasting) Need to get the structure of the

Its been a while, but have been chipping away slowly piece meal between other projects, working on buildings, platforms, etc. Last few days. Gort is essentially designed for now as an end to end shunt

Posted Images

7 hours ago, burnthebox said:

Ya mean the way this one did, & all the way to Noo Yawk, into Fitzpatrick’s no less....!

BTB

1DFA0BFB-513D-401D-8DE8-D6EF6B4C13E0.jpeg

That's EXACTLY what I mean!

Disgraceful "stewardship" of railway "heritage" by IE.

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Does anybody know what font in MS-Office is closest to the Irish Gaelic GSR type face?

There's a thing called "bunchlo".  Seems closest to me.

There appears to be nothing that truly is VERY close to it.

• Informative 1
Posted (edited)

In for a penny in for a pound, I'll have to scratch build the Gort signal box. Gort only really has four unique buildings the Goods shed, station house, water tower and signal box. Can't do three and leave one out. 

Sourced drawings for it which is a help. Below a hornby RTR Box, but Gort is quite a little box distinctive.

IMG_8967.jpg

Its just a start, will do the windows next to get the trickiest bits out of the way.

IMG_8970.thumb.jpg.fbee54f38494886a3a8b1e7280cddeca.jpg

Link to photo in Clare Champion (C) John Galvin and John Kelly

http://clarechampion.photoshelter.com/image/I0000RkOBUbm6J4s

Edited by Noel
  • Like 4

Pity about the nameboards.

I'm trying out a new slide scanner (for the Legal Appendage to scan my slides of our sons) and just happened to lift this out - 288323715_Gortnameboard.thumb.jpg.1fac854ecfdc6d49d74e5bf21d71c907.jpg

Taken on some RPSI tour, of course. I took the station building as well, Noel, if of use?

Good luck with the model. Now I know how I should have done mine!

Leslie

• Like 4
6 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Pity about the nameboards.

I'm trying out a new slide scanner (for the Legal Appendage to scan my slides of our sons) and just happened to lift this out - 288323715_Gortnameboard.thumb.jpg.1fac854ecfdc6d49d74e5bf21d71c907.jpg

Taken on some RPSI tour, of course. I took the station building as well, Noel, if of use?

Good luck with the model. Now I know how I should have done mine!

Leslie

Hi Leslie. That’s really useful, thank you. If by any chance you also had a photo of the station building facade from the line side that would be a great help, as I can only find photos at an acute angle taken from the north.

Window frames done and re-roofed. Lots more still to do, fascias, gutters, brick chimney, steps, ridge tiles, painting, weathering, etc. There is also the option of the white lean-to at the north end of the box.

IMG_9053.jpg

• Like 12
  • WOW! 1

Waiting for glue and paint to set on other items, so made a start to the facade of Gort station ticket office building. The window surrounds will be tricky to fabricate. Guessed the dimensions as I could not find any half decent photos or drawings of this building from this angle (ie perpendicular elevation from track side). The ceilings on the RHS should be about 8ft and 10ft for the centrals section. Another micro project to chug away at.

IMG_9060.jpg

• Like 6
22 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

The signal cabin is looking fantastic!!  Looking forward to seeing the station buildings!!

Cheers Patrick. Taking a break from the signal box for a while. The water tower is almost complete.

IMG_9072.jpg

• Like 8
  • WOW! 1

Test fitting the remade goods platform. I wasn't 100% happy with the original versions shape so when remade this one added embossed high grip cobble at the cattle dock end. Was able to adjust the track to give it a better flow while enabling stock to get close to the edges for loading and unloading. Now have to make a small loading dock crane. The original platform will get recycled and reused on the other layout.

IMG_9127.jpg

Peco platform edging strips make it really easy to make platforms from plastic card.

IMG_9126.jpg

• Like 4

The basics are starting to come together.

IMG_9128.jpg

Hopefully will be able to test run some stock in a few weeks (ie as an electrics check pre-ballasting)

IMG_9131.jpg

Need to get the structure of the station ticket office building done now.

IMG_9129.jpg

• Like 11