My first loco build - MGWR ‘Titania’ class 4 tank

Rate this topic

Galteemore

Lurking here for a while so thought I’d better post! Here’s my first ever loco build - almost done. It’s a 7mm scale Alphagraphix etched kit of an MGWR tank as built in 1851 and rebuilt by Atock. My proposed line will be Co Sligo c1956 - I’ve imagined that this little loco escaped the fate of her real sister  (scrapped c 1906) and lingered on in the remote west. I think that the similar loco on the Waterford:Tramore line would almost certainly have lasted till the 50s but for her fatal derailment in the 30s, so it’s not an impossible scenario! She’s finished in CIE black. Essentially built as per instructions but she has a few additional parts -sprung buffers and brass whistle/smokebox dart to replace the white metal ones supplied. Coupling hooks and vacuum pipes will be added once she’s finally bolted to the chassis.

I do apologise for her appearance - I know she should be emerald green. It could have been worse - I was tempted to add a big yellow number. 804 perhaps?! 

Cognoscenti of this forum will probably guess at the gauge she’s running on..she was originally 32mm gauge but midway through building I started an email exchange with Mr Holman from Arigna and Belmullet - and that was that! He’s given a lot of helpful advice - and I even cribbed from his blog to build this short length of 5’3” track ! 

As you can see, Sligo shed rather fuss over her. And why not?  That ‘Hazlewood’ that runs in from Enniskillen on the 7:20 mixed is only a youngster by comparison! 

0FE43885-D527-4FB1-A3A0-324F6E1F7A81.jpeg

BC668B10-CA5C-4F21-A21A-373A593DD273.thumb.jpeg.23ec6b054e36a9856da25ba62ab3b0ab.jpeg

50E69CB4-44BC-41CD-82D2-7601B1462CB5.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
New info
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 2

Thanks Paddy but anyone could make this with a bit of trial and error - brass is much more forgiving than plastic! There’s a fair few mistakes on this one but she’s managed to sit square and fit on the chassis which is the main thing! 

B0A7BC49-8D18-40AC-AD46-28905C8E26DF.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
Spelling!
  • Like 2
  • WOW! 2

• 4 weeks later...