enniscorthyman

Foolish drivers

Rate this topic

23 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Eejit!

If you look on Street View, he has passed a good few signs, including one offering a diversion 'avoiding a low bridge' and then hit a remarkably obvious bridge...

Driving a high vehicle - and one with a variable height - you might hope that he would pay some attention to restricted heights.

• Like 1

I'd reckon the lad that clipped his helmet was only one of many near misses going under that, along with the odd head on collision :)

• Like 1

Impatience along with stupidity is main problem there. Should be made resit their test for that type of behaviour, but no doubt it will end with a slap on the wrist. 

4 hours ago, jason brady said:

Impatience along with stupidity is main problem there. Should be made resit their test for that type of behaviour, but no doubt it will end with a slap on the wrist. 

Maybe they should install those rising bollards / ramps directly in line with the barriers?

11 hours ago, Horsetan said:

Maybe they should install those rising bollards / ramps directly in line with the barriers?

Unfortunately the cost would considerably outweigh the benefits. But yes, it would be a deterrent and make someone think twice after they have to pick what's left of their engine out of the dashboard. 

Posted (edited)

Holy Moly, how did he manage do that? Driving a HGV one is usually very self conscious about a vehicles height. The tops of those trailers have little strength nor weight so should not structurally damage a bridge, and just crush like tissue paper, more likely damage cabling under the structure.

Edited by Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Holy Moly, how did he manage do that? Driving a HGV one is usually very self conscious about a vehicles height. The tops of those trailers have little strength nor weight so should not structurally damage a bridge, and just crush like tissue paper, more likely damage cabling under the structure.

Ah, I think you just have to take a run at it, perhaps...

I wonder if they might also be concerned that a bridge might be moved sideways where there are expansion joints at the abutments or the possibility that masonry courses could be sheared at mortar planes? There's always the possibility of cumulative issues from multiple strikes passing a damage threshold eventually, maybe. Some bridges do seem to get hit almost monthly now.

2 hours ago, Broithe said:

Ah, I think you just have to take a run at it, perhaps...

I wonder if they might also be concerned that a bridge might be moved sideways where there are expansion joints at the abutments or the possibility that masonry courses could be sheared at mortar planes? There's always the possibility of cumulative issues from multiple strikes passing a damage threshold eventually, maybe. Some bridges do seem to get hit almost monthly now.

Oh I totally understand the need for a full engineering inspection and speed limits post strike. The Clogh Road Bridge strike in 1975 had tragic consequences.

8 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Holy Hell..!!

Holy Moly indeed. :) Oh there was a nice Fiat Agri tractor right in front of the excavator. That could have been very nasty. Wonder much much damage was done to the rear actor of the JCB. Expensive loading error.

51 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

That's another ATM saved up north!

laugh.gif

The reversing of the tipper truck is almost impressive...

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Posted (edited)

The person on the bike probably stuck a claim in for damage to the bike....also if a train hits one of these idiots it is the poor train driver that has to live with it. That's after he /she gets investigated by the Gardai, the HSA and IE.

Edited by spudfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DiveController said:

OMG! Some of the morons tweet-arguing with IE about a time stamp on the video. I do think there should be substantial penalties for this behavior  

+1