Sign in to follow this  
Edo

Palace East Station circa 1960

Rate this topic

Evening All

I'm looking for information on Palace East Station - one of those typical Irish junction stations in the a*@e end of nowhere - in the middle of County Wexford. It was where the GS&WR branch from Bagnalstown met the DSER from Macmine Junction ( another one!) to Waterford line.

In Particular Im looking for pictures of the station - I've seen the James O'Dea Collection and a couple of random images on flickr - they are all from roughly the same angle - from the top of the bridge on the Macmine Junction side looking down on the station. I was wondering was there anywhere else I could look for photos and records (if they exist) looking in the opposite direction and around the yard generally....any collections anywhere? libraries?

I appreciate that this is probably a big ask - in fairness - the James O'Dea photos are great and give a great idea of the station to folks like me who have only ever seen a forest on the site of the old Station - I'm in advanced planning to do a fairly accurate model of the Station as it closed in 1963 based on those and OSI maps etc  - but there are a few details that are still a big vague for me - ie what design were the 2 bridges that crossed the line , bookending the station yard -what were they made of? - I've a fair idea that one was of iron construction but Im clueless of the other one.

Maybe the some of the...ahem....more experienced members of the crew here who might have passed thru Palace East might be able to recall a detail or two?

many thanks for any info or pointers in new directions for same

Ed

Ed, 

Have had a look at the Ordnance Survey maps, they were both overbridges, or at least that's how they were drawn. As for type it appears to be an "ikea" type rivetted metal frame, with two supports of cut stone either side. I don't imagine it was any different on the other side either, as every structure is very industrious and "value engineered". 

570384759_PalaceEast.thumb.jpg.f63249b718096bc2cca1059865a0e5f5.jpg

Similar to this type at Moyasta. 

LM-60-crossing-The-Red-Bridge.jpg

Hope that helps, but it's not definitive. Richie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have seen photos of the rear part of Palace East Station.They were in journals of IRRS.It would be worth your while contaction them.just Google Irish Railway Record Society. 

• Thanks 1

I think the IRRS may have track plans - certainly they'll have photos. 

Very welcoming for documentary stuff and visits, but they don’t let even members near their photo archive.

• Thanks 1