Sign in to follow this  
leslie10646

IRRS London Meetings

Rate this topic

The next meeting is on Thursday 14 November 2019 in the Calthorpe Arms, Grays Inn Road, London (near KingsCross).

Hope to see a few of my "English" friends there.

Leslie

“Downpatrick and County Down Railway”

by Robert Gardiner

19.00 – 21.45 in the Function Room of the Calthorpe Arms, 252 Gray’s Inn Road LONDON WC1X 8JR. (The room is accessible by stairs only.)

DCDR Chairman, Robert Gardiner, reviews the railway’s history and updates us on recent developments. From inception in 1985 with just a ‘field’, the DCDR has grown to become the only full-sized operational Irish mainline heritage railway Initially a new station building and workshop were constructed, and a line built to Inch Abbey including reinstatement of a river bridge. More recently, a new Visitor’s Gallery has been constructed to view the workshop, the former Bundoran Junction Cabin re-erected on the railway and an 80 Class railcar acquired.

BUSES TO THE CALTHORPE ARMS

Due to restructuring of the central London bus network, two bus routes passing by or close to the Calthorpe Arms have been changed and are no longer auseful means of getting to our meetings.

Route 45 (King’s Cross – Clapham Park) no longer serves Gray’s Inn Road. It has been curtailed to operate between the Elephant & Castle and Clapham Park only. 

Route 341 (Waterloo – Angel Road) used to pass through the junction between Gray’s Inn Road and Theobald’s Road. It has now been diverted away from that location (to a more direct route).

Other routes in the vicinity remain unchanged.

For further information, please check : www.tfl.gov.uk

Come and see me fall flat on my face this Thursday at 7pm at the Calthorpe Arms!

I'll be giving a first cut of the late Lance King's fine colour images of the railways of the Republic at a time of change - 1957 - 1963. My talk is followed by the Branch AGM, so I'll be on for about eighty minutes.

Although I start with a quick look at the Co Donegal and the Sligo Leitrim and Northern Counties, most of the show will be of short visits to CIE lines like the branches to Ballaghaderreen, Ballina, Banagher, Clara, Edenderry, Kenmare, Loughrea, Tullow and Youghal. I also plan to cover a fair bit of the Cork Bandon and South Coast Railway. 

Even a few diesels have crept in, but MGWR types in service, a few GNR and the inevitable J15s. Even a shot with 800 and 801 in the same frame.

It would be nice to see some of you living in the SE of England on Thursday.

Leslie

• Like 3

I can't make London but I've signed up for the Manchester event in February.

Which is a shame as it looks a great agenda!

Hi Angus

If Manchester takes off as an Area, I'm sure I'll be putting in an appearance there!

I hope to get to the meeting in February and I'll prevail on the powers that be to at least put up a rolling slide show of some of the Photos.

Leslie

• Thanks 1