Packages Received!

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Opening the first of FOUR parcels received from forum members these past few months.

I have had nowhere to actually safely display the contents of said packages, so let's see if I can come up with anything durable today...

Thanks to @Galteemore for this one, exquisite!!!!!

@murphaph, @Westcorkrailway and @WRENNEIRE, your time is coming, watch out.

2023-10-23 10.50.04.jpg

2023-10-23 10.51.15.jpg

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Thanks DJ - glad she made the trip. Although I think front buffer beam may need a tweak, all else seems intact!! 

Day off today, at the McDonald's McAuto collecting my McMuffins to carb-load for a boost, then off to IKEA after a vet visit...

Let's see if I can generate an appropriate display for such a prestigious piece!

• 2 months later...

Received a text from my neighbour earlier to say that the postie had dropped in a parcel for me…

Dapol / Lionheart BR Mk1 from Hatton’s!

These yokes cost a fortune so I only buy them when they’re on offer.

First impressions are good!

Can’t figure out the couplings on any of these coaches, though.

Even comes with a little booklet and two bags of bits!

IMG_0889.jpeg

IMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0894.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0898.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So, I had saved up a bunch of money for several of the new Murphy Models 141's / 181's.

At the last minute, when it came time to convert EOI to pre-order, I decided not to go ahead.

I don't like the direction that the pricing is going for Irish locos, and if anybody else has worked for Canarian wages, they'll understand why!

Thus, while slowly greening with envy as the locos approach, and seeing @tonto.irl posting pictures of his advance issue on Facebook, I decided to de-green myself a little and spend some of that hard-earned cash:

IMG_20240305_1335297.jpg

IMG_20240305_1339537.jpg

IMG_20240305_1338187.jpg

IMG_20240305_1338290.jpg

IMG_20240305_1338594.jpg

IMG_20240305_1339357.jpg

IMG_20240305_1338445.jpg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So, I had saved up a bunch of money for several of the new Murphy Models 141's / 181's.

At the last minute, when it came time to convert EOI to pre-order, I decided not to go ahead.

I don't like the direction that the pricing is going for Irish locos, and if anybody else has worked for Canarian wages, they'll understand why!

Thus, while slowly greening with envy as the locos approach, and seeing @tonto.irl posting pictures of his advance issue on Facebook, I decided to de-green myself a little and spend some of that hard-earned cash:

IMG_20240305_1335297.jpg

IMG_20240305_1339537.jpg

IMG_20240305_1338187.jpg

IMG_20240305_1338290.jpg

IMG_20240305_1338594.jpg

IMG_20240305_1339357.jpg

IMG_20240305_1338445.jpg

Nice mix there.

Those 141' will be for sale in a short time on the Ebay / FB etc. Would not worry, I did not order any either.

• Like 1

Just now, Georgeconna said:

Nice mix there.

Those 141' will be for sale in a short time on the Ebay / FB etc. Would not worry, I did not order any either.

The eyesight is going with old age, and too much sun, so the O Gauge stuff is a way of compensating.

No chance I'll be touching the new locos for crazy eBay prices, they're even worse!

May pick up one or two from Rails, depending on shipping cost.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

DJD Senior has just landed with a care package!

Thanks to @skinner75 for the two locos, the IRM lads for finding some Dickie Tara's for him, and probably @WRENNEIRE for the three Mk2D's and the hand-painted Mk3 buffet, which I'm guessing DJD Senior bought from him at one of the shows.

He's been hoarding stuff for me the last few years, and has more to bring down in October.

IMG_20240319_2022261.jpg

• Like 7

Nice! They got there in the end - hand delivered too!

(for context - I tried posting them, but the parcel ended up being sent back to me due to some customs issue sending to the Canary Islands)

Edited by skinner75
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skinner75 said:

Nice! They got there in the end - hand delivered too!

(for context - I tried posting them, but the parcel ended up being sent back to me due to some customs issue sending to the Canary Islands)

Had the same problem myself, but my postmaster said everything was in accordance with EC rules, we have resent the package with new custom declaration, lets see what happens!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

everything was in accordance with EC rules

And therein lies the problem. The Canary Islands are not part of the EU for customs nor tax.

They're an autonomous region of Spain with their own rules on taxation and customs.

Any online purchases that come from outside the islands, be it Ireland, Spain, Germany, the UK or wherever, have to be "imported" and a valid customs declaration is required.

An Post seem to have a massive massive problem understanding this, and it's exhausting dealing with them, never mind the frustration of having parcels re-sent over and over until An Post get it right.

The jobsworths up in Madrid don't help. Forget to cross a "t" or dot an "i" on your CN23 and they'll reject your parcel up there, it won't get within 1,792km of the islands.

It does teach you patience, though...

I'll receive my NIR coach packs when everybody else is receiving their IR packs!

Still, at least there's something to look at while being patient.

IMG_20240314_1223587-panorama.jpg

IMG_20240302_1633005.jpg

IMG_20240302_1635236.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

And therein lies the problem. The Canary Islands are not part of the EU for customs nor tax.

They're an autonomous region of Spain with their own rules on taxation and customs.

Any online purchases that come from outside the islands, be it Ireland, Spain, Germany, the UK or wherever, have to be "imported" and a valid customs declaration is required.

An Post seem to have a massive massive problem understanding this, and it's exhausting dealing with them, never mind the frustration of having parcels re-sent over and over until An Post get it right.

The jobsworths up in Madrid don't help. Forget to cross a "t" or dot an "i" on your CN23 and they'll reject your parcel up there, it won't get within 1,792km of the islands.

It does teach you patience, though...

I'll receive my NIR coach packs when everybody else is receiving their IR packs!

Still, at least there's something to look at while being patient.

IMG_20240314_1223587-panorama.jpg

IMG_20240302_1633005.jpg

IMG_20240302_1635236.jpg

Never knew it was autonomous customs-wise etc..... bit like the Isle of Man, which is neither part of the UK, nor part of Britain, and when Britain WAS in the EU, they still never were................

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Never knew it was autonomous customs-wise etc..... bit like the Isle of Man, which is neither part of the UK, nor part of Britain, and when Britain WAS in the EU, they still never were................

The Channel Island are also in that 'economic limbo' situation, handy for avoiding/evading tax.

There used to be quite a business selling vitamin supplements from the Channel islands, VAT-free. It didn't seem to be worth the bother of dealing with them as imports - or maybe it was just owned by somebody's brother-in-law and blind eyes were turned?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

That's where the Canary Islands get even more interesting.

For banking and finance, the Canaries follow Spanish law, so comply with the EU.

Taxation here is legendary, and one of the reasons the mind boggles every time a British family without a word of Spanish between them decides to uproot, sell up, quit the jobs in Tesco, and open a bar here...

You have four different bodies collecting tax; the local county councils (31 counties in Tenerife alone), the government (cabildo) of each island, the Canarian government and the Spanish government.

Imagine trying to comply with the requirements of all four! It's not easy, believe me.

You also have insitutionalized racism. Many (not all) Spanish view the Canarios as a lesser people, beneath them, who should be treated as such. The Canarian accents are mercilessly mocked online, the Madrileños being particularly fierce in this area.

There are many stories of Canarian business people flying first class without checked-luggage, as there is such a high probability of their luggage going missing or being damaged when they land in Madrid.

Anyhow, I digress, it all adds up to a very colourful life!

Stolen from Wikipedia:

1280px-Municipios_y_zonas_de_Tenerife.svg.png

• Like 4