Midland Man

Why is the younger generation not getting-into Irish railway modeling?

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello all 

The reason I wanted to ask this question is because I find now that people find the hobby weird.They only think of Thomas the tank or Flying scotsman which makes the hobby look bad in a way.I also find that modeling modern railways is a little boring for a young child.As one of the younger members of this forum my interest in model railways is the MGWR 1920s to the 1950s .The reason being is books like rail to Achill and Ernie Shepards Midland great western railway were the  two books that were available to me as my grandad had a interest in local history and of the railways. Hope you all like.

Edited by Midland Man
  • Like 2

If it wasnt for Thomas the Tank Engine I probably would've never gone near the hobby if I'm honest. It's a great gateway for many children to play with trains and be introduced to them. How is that or a famous loco like Flying Scotsman a bad thing if it raises the profile of the hobby?

• Like 2

I think it helps if you grew up near a railway line and then model that era as it is what you grew up with.

That's what happened with me.

But i do model irish trains that i have never seen in my life. and that is because i have seen them in

books, DVD's and internet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

If it wasnt for Thomas the Tank Engine I probably would've never gone near the hobby if I'm honest. It's a great gateway for many children to play with trains and be introduced to them. How is that or a famous loco like Flying Scotsman a bad thing if it raises the profile of the hobby?

I phased it wrong I meant the animated show not the classic tv show or the books 

• Like 1

For some reason it’s seen as a bit of a weird hobby by many in Ireland. Yet after moving to England I found work colleagues and friends far more interested and certainly no longer viewed as the train weirdo!😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I agree with popeye, we used to play on the railway tracks as kids and climb about on wagons etc, great fun!..I don't suppose in todays safety culture this happens much nowadays...

• Like 1

When I was a kid playing on the line was our playground, putting your ear on the rails to see if you could hear the train coming (usually while some smart arse shoved you pretending to be a train) even today it’s that era of rolling stock and coach / loco that used roll past us I’m most interested in. However I only started collecting and Modelling when my first child was born and I was subjected to two hours a day of Thomas the tank engine. So there is a place for all :)

Posted (edited)

For me, it was early-age indoctrination due to family on both sides. Both grandfather and father started life on the GSR, the latter moving to the LMS in England, then NCC, then GNR and ending up with the UTA. (No doubt they stencilled "U T" on him somewhere....!). My mother worked in GNR dining cars and then the GNR's Bundoran hotel...... other relatives emigrated and worked for railway administrations in the Gold Coast, as it was called, South Africa and Argentina! And closer to home, the timetabling department of the Dublin United Tramways Co........

So I hadn't a hope of doing anything else as a hobby!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 5

If you have visited Warley you would know that you would get run over at opening time by youngsters trying to be first to get to the Thomas Tank layout.  I think they have 4 controllers on the layout which they give to the children to run the trains.  That’s what attracts young people, being able to play with something that’s part of their world.  You don’t see too many of them looking at prize winning layouts with perfectly modelled couplings, rivets, landscape, or shades of paint.  Those are things that are of interest to serious modellers, perfectionists and oldtimers, not youngsters.  But if you had Polar Express, Frozen, My Little Pony, The Railway Children, or Harry Potter you might get killed in the rush.  I think that’s where a start is needed – the things youngsters are familiar with - and once the joy of model trains is experienced those youngsters will come back to the hobby in later life and will want something Irish closer to home.

My tuppence worth.

• Like 3

Ah, JHB, I only found out that a family member had worked on the railways when I looked up the enlistment papers of my Great Uncle, who died of wounds the day after the great Canadian attack on Vimy Ridge in April 1917.

"Previous employment" was listed as locomotive fireman! I haven't managed to find out which railway, or for how long - he was forty years old and, of course, a volunteer with an Ontario regiment - so there would have been other jobs before that.

Gabriel was probably born at "The Cavan" the name of the townland where the family cottage stood and from which I saw my first trains. My grandfather was stationed at the top of the lane from which you could see Richhill station - when a train set off towards Portadown - there would be a loud shout and the "little boy" would be brought out and held aloft to behold the Great Northern at work!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1