Sign in to follow this  
Edo

The Blackstairs Railway

Rate this topic

I've been faffing around for the last 2 years about building a new layout for the first time in over 30 years and have finally decided to commit to doing it and put it up here - or else I wont do anything about it!

I've finally concluded negotiations with the Minister of the Interior to use my "Den"  to house the layout - It took 18 months and comes with several conditions mostly relating to tidiness -it cost me a brand new kitchen with all the bells and whistles , Utility room , patio and central heating system for the whole house and another decade on the mortgage.........She drives a hard bargain.....................but I got my railway room!!!!!:trains:

Anyway - very briefly its going to be a layout based around the Bagnalstown to Palace east Line  circa 1955 to 1980  and at this moment - in my head - it will compose of Bagnalstown Station, Palace East Station - probably Borris Halt and the viaduct (ambitious or what!) and possibly Ballyling Beet siding under the Blackstairs mountain - all on a layout that will go around the 4 walls of the room..........I'll throw up a rough plan when I get a moment .............this probably is all subject to change when I hit that speedbump called reality - but I can dream for the moment!!

Anyway - to celebrate and relieve a bit of cabin fever - I threw up a tailchaser made up of some Thomas the tank track on the kitchen table  and took out/ tried out my IRM Stock, my 00Works J15s and my MM071 ( seriously impressed with the 071.............talk about smooth - love it already!) for the very first time.............................it was great!

here is some dodgy video as evidence - unless you are interested in the RTE news, home & away, Corrie or Jamie Oliver - my advice would be to use the mute button!

• Like 4

What a cliffhanger Edo - I kept hoping that little J15 didn’t fall off!  Great news  / look forward to seeing more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Midland Man said:

Any news or update sound interesting.

All quiet at the moment - i was kinda caught on the hop with the whole lockdown - i dont have any materials in stock and now there is nowhere open to get them!.......given that Im now unemployed for the forseeable - it will be a long time waiting for passenger aviation to come back - my financials are in turmoil as grateful as i am for the state assistance - the timing couldnt have been worse as my renumeration is largely performance driven - no performance - no squids!....so the " toy train" comes way down the list of priorities....

Anyhoo - all that said - I do have Leslie's kits out on the table - and i did manage to get some glue - so I have challenged myself to get at least one built this week!

Lastly - here is the first vague outlines of my plan for the layout - its kinda puke on a page at the mo - very very ambitious with different levels and some lines disappearing and the other appearing etc etc .....its a start!

Ed

20200419_224631.jpg

• Like 5

Fairly ambitious to incorporate two junction stations close together in a relatively small space though the looped 8 arrangement adds to the length of run. An alternative might be to replace one of the stations with a fiddle yard and keep most of the "main line" hidden and focus more of the scenic branch line aspect.

Brian McCann built a very nice N gauge  model of Bagnallstown featuring the station, the Barrow and Thomastown viaducts mainly using converted rtr equipment in the 1970s, the layout was featured as Railway of the Month in the Feb 1980 Railway Worth while having a look for the article for its scenic treatment and modelling of the distinctive Bagnallstown station architecture. http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/railway-modeller-magazine-february-1980-issue.html

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Mayner said:

Fairly ambitious to incorporate two junction stations close together in a relatively small space though the looped 8 arrangement adds to the length of run. An alternative might be to replace one of the stations with a fiddle yard and keep most of the "main line" hidden and focus more of the scenic branch line aspect.

Brian McCann built a very nice N gauge  model of Bagnallstown featuring the station, the Barrow and Thomastown viaducts mainly using converted rtr equipment in the 1970s, the layout was featured as Railway of the Month in the Feb 1980 Railway Worth while having a look for the article for its scenic treatment and modelling of the distinctive Bagnallstown station architecture. http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/railway-modeller-magazine-february-1980-issue.html

Thanks for the input JM

Yeh - ambitious - yer right - probably too ambitious for the space involved to do justice to either.

Im still ruminating big time over what exactly I want to do - Well - I know I want all of the above Stations and the Branch line - Its just how and where it can be done.

I know I  really don't have the space in this particular room. However the attic would be far more promising spacewise and would accommodate both stations and the branch line with ease - the plan always was to hide the "mainlines"  out of the both stations and concentrate on the borris branchline which was the scenic line compared to the other 2.

that "plan" above was last fiddled with last summer......TBH my thinking has changed quite a bit since then and could be summed up as follows:

I want the layout to be portable as much as possible because the Attic will probably come on line in a few years after revamping and I want to be able to move the layout easily - who knows...if they turn out anyway decent somebody else might want to see them in action too!

I want to do all 3 stations - Bagnalstown, Palace East and Borris - they are 3 very different and distinct stations , both in set up ,location and Architecture - therefore Im tending towards assembling the stations individually - in modules to some degree - this would enable them to run individually - but also fitted into a longer running space with them all joined up, Again - ambitious - but long term dooable

So, with that in mind , like your suggestion above - I am now contemplating rejgging the set up in the Den (space shown above) to just having the layout on the large wall ......and have it fed by a fiddle yard and a single line around the walls of the rest of the room for continuous running.......It would also allow me throw a proper workbench in there - much more comfortable than the draughty shed outside.

Appreciate the input and info - I'm on your wavelength in regard to being realistic about the possibilities.

I'll get back when I can with a more recent visualisation of what Im planning

In the meantime - when Tango man isn't terrifying the living sh^t out of me - my TV watching is a crash course on the various railway modelling you tube channels - its very educational!

Ed

Edited by Edo