Rate this topic

2996 Victor

6 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

The GSR went to great pains to remove traces of past ownership, name plates, number plates/numerals and works plates went into the melting pot. Only a very few locos, those that rarely or never got called to Inchicore for attention escaped.

Thanks, @minister_for_hardship,

that's actually rather sad, isn't it? But not all that surprising, I suppose, and not uncommon practise.

I must admit that this far I hadn't noticed the sandbox numerals.....too busy looking at wagons!

All the best,

Mark

Just now, minister_for_hardship said:

The GSR went to great pains to remove traces of past ownership, name plates, number plates/numerals and works plates went into the melting pot. Only a very few locos, those that rarely or never got called to Inchicore for attention escaped.

Your 100% right. I personally call it Irishing  up something as a lot of the company's had interlocked with Britich mainly the GWR and LNWR. One o the rare things bought from England was a Peket for use in cork. The GSR did quite a lot with it.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Midland Man said:

Your 100% right. I personally call it Irishing  up something as a lot of the company's had interlocked with Britich mainly the GWR and LNWR. One o the rare things bought from England was a Peket for use in cork. The GSR did quite a lot with it.

I think it may be more to do with the GSR being dominated in almost every way by the former GS&WR, hence everything had to fall into line with Inchicore practice. Inchicore was never all that fond of colourful liveries, brass and copper fripperies and evocative loco names.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1

Looking at the early picture of the E class, am amazed how much difference the original chimney makes to the overall appearance of the loco. Were there any major rebuilds to the class, apart from the Waterford  cab/bunker changes?

Reason I ask is that my own J26 is eventually due to be backdated and while I'm happy to replace the chimney and do a repaint, there is little point if it needs a larger boiler etc. If it reappears in the Tyrconnel range, would certainly recommend it. A simple, easy build, mine took just 40 hours including painting and weathering. Runs well too.

• Informative 1

I wound not blame the GSWR influence entirely for the end of polished brasswork and removal of brass name and number plates while an ex GSWR man was in charge of Inchacore, the GSR Board and senior management was largely dominated by ex-MGWR men, including the Chairman, General Manager and Chief Financial Officer. Apparently there was a GSR committee during the 1920s tasked with achieving savings by hunting down name and number plates for re-cycling as bearing brushes and other parts in the brass foundry.

David it would be simple enough to backdate the Tyrconnell J26 into an E by replacing the funnel and smokebox door and wrapper.

The MGWR re-built the E Class with new boilers, conventional smokebox doors and shorter cast iron funnels from 1911 onward's, the majority of 554 or J26 class retained their flush MGWR style smokeboxes and cast iron funnels until replaced with Inchacore style built up chimneys and pop riveted smokeboxes during the 1940s.

The seem to have continued in use on short feeder branch lines such as Athboy and Killeshandra at least until the late 30s or possibly the ending of regular traffic on these lines.

Class E - 107 ROBIN - Atock Class E 0-6-0T - built 1891 by Kitson & Co., Works No.3371 - 1925 to GSR as Class 551 No.552, 1945 to CIE - 1963 withdrawn. Class J26 - 556 - Atock M&GWR Class E 0-6-0T - built 1891 by Sharp Stewart & Co., Works No.3695, as M&GWR No.111 WASP - 1925 to GSR as No.556, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1956.

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

22 minutes ago, Mayner said:

I wound not blame the GSWR influence entirely for the end of polished brasswork and removal of brass name and number plates while an ex GSWR man was in charge of Inchacore, the GSR Board and senior management was largely dominated by ex-MGWR men, including the Chairman, General Manager and Chief Financial Officer. Apparently there was a GSR committee during the 1920s tasked with achieving savings by hunting down name and number plates for re-cycling as bearing brushes and other parts in the brass foundry.

David it would be simple enough to backdate the Tyrconnell J26 into an E by replacing the funnel and smokebox door and wrapper.

The MGWR re-built the E Class with new boilers, conventional smokebox doors and shorter cast iron funnels from 1911 onward's, the majority of 554 or J26 class retained their flush MGWR style smokeboxes and cast iron funnels until replaced with Inchacore style built up chimneys and pop riveted smokeboxes during the 1940s.

The seem to have continued in use on short feeder branch lines such as Athboy and Killeshandra at least until the late 30s or possibly the ending of regular traffic on these lines.

Class E - 107 ROBIN - Atock Class E 0-6-0T - built 1891 by Kitson & Co., Works No.3371 - 1925 to GSR as Class 551 No.552, 1945 to CIE - 1963 withdrawn. Class J26 - 556 - Atock M&GWR Class E 0-6-0T - built 1891 by Sharp Stewart & Co., Works No.3695, as M&GWR No.111 WASP - 1925 to GSR as No.556, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1956.

Hi John,

Fantastic info as always and superb photos, particularly the works photo of "Robin". I should say that's the perfect photo for a loco in my period.

Bizarre, isn't it, how often in works photos of locos the chimney rim appears to be angled due to perspective/parallax/whatever it is!

Best regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Sadly, there's no been progress to report, as yesterday was spent trying to make some headway in the garden, and today has been largely a lazy day.

Having said that, I've spent an enjoyable couple of hours looking at OSI 25" maps of MGWR terminii, while sketching out plans for my project layout. Nothing definite yet, but some ideas are coming together. The one common aspect of the terminii plans I've looked is a very long overall length, which unfortunately I can't reproduce, so finding a way to crop the length while maintaining the feel of space is exercising my limited intellect.....

Not currently having any gainful employment to go to, hopefully I'll make some progress on my wagons tomorrow!

Cheers for now!

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 2