GSR 800

Mullingar

Rate this topic

Mullingar is one of the more unusual stations in Ireland, and offers plenty of modelling opportunity,  a junction station at the heart of the MGWR, with a large cattle bank, goods shed,  engine shed, a large gantry, the list is long to say the least.

My focus is on the Athlone side, although both sides of the station have a lot to offer, the engine shed, goods shed and cattle sidings were all on the Athlone side of the station. Progress has been slow, but it's finally starting to have a vague resemblance. 

20200520_132632-1.thumb.jpg.f87dec8830746a672b57865cad4ed808.jpg

Maedbh makes a visit to Mullingar en route to Galway. The Civil Engineer was on holiday at the time apparently.

20200520_132910.thumb.jpg.ce96b2656dc7b5df30cb8b5287d8f206.jpg

WIP of the station building on the Dublin side of the station 

20200501_154646-1.thumb.jpg.24bb030c7bc65311e1e1800f2bcfd156.jpg

Engine shed and railway terrace under construction, slate roof is dry fitted.

20200502_152116.thumb.jpg.dbb78d27702dc8df60a7cff86f9b2ddb.jpg

Far from finished clearly! 

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 11

WOW 

please put more up. Sure Mullingar is like my 40km down a few roads. If its going to be a 50s/60s scene you can run realistically 

U class 131 

A couple of J15s 

A LM class 0-6-0

A G2 class

D5/6s

And many more but a 800 can look nice as well. You got the engine shed spot on. Do not forget the railway houses  where the old station master was shot [ long story]. the Sligo side has a bridge that you can run trains down it like a branch line but have it loop round to the main line. [ hope you get me] Two questions

1. could i sea the track plan or what is the length?

2.  Are you building the Breathland track layer?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

WOW 

please put more up. Sure Mullingar is like my 40km down a few roads. If its going to be a 50s/60s scene you can run realistically 

U class 131 

A couple of J15s 

A LM class 0-6-0

A G2 class

D5/6s

And many more but a 800 can look nice as well. You got the engine shed spot on. Do not forget the railway houses  where the old station master was shot [ long story]. the Sligo side has a bridge that you can run trains down it like a branch line but have it loop round to the main line. [ hope you get me] Two questions

1. could i sea the track plan or what is the length?

2.  Are you building the Breathland track layer?

The station is within 5k of myself so easy access.

The Sligo side won't be modeled, don't have the space for it.

G2 will hopefully arrive from NZ once international shipping is back on the regular, the idea is generally realistic running, moguls, J15s, cattle engines, G2s along with some of the D's but 800 and 402 weren't built to not be run!

I'm well aware of the murder of Thomas Anketell,  and the reasons behind it..

No plan on the track layer

Currently have two boards 10x2 foot, nothing is set in stone yet but overall idea is a somewhat simplified track plan for the yard

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GSR 800 said:

Maedbh makes a visit to Mullingar en route to Galway. The Civil Engineer was on holiday at the time apparently.

I love it!!!!!   Superb!

• Like 2

wow

looks good. If the Shannon bridge was never improved in 1900/1901 the Ds would have been turned at Mullingar and a smaller engine would have to go on to Galway. Would have been quite interesting operation at the station.

MM