Connemara Railway project.

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hopefully you can find some to use, 5ft 3 is a bit rare around the world, Over here in the UK some one had 3 or 4 swedish gauge locos as static exhibits, may be a source for a rebuilt 5ft 3ins gauge steam loco, I am not sure if they are 5ft or 5ft 6in, as they are of no use to anyone else it might be worth having a look at them for the future, also not sure about Indian either as they have 5ft 3ins gauge lines so might have the odd 4-4-0 in a scrap yard still.   

Intriguing idea, Colin, regauge a 5ft loco - maybe a Russian L Class 2-10-0? Just make sure it's not one of the EIGHTY I've travelled behind already!

-----------

Someone needs to win the Euromillions and do a NewBuild MGWR 2-4-0? Or maybe an L Class 0-6-0.

With Flyaway Cab, of course!!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.connemararailway.ie/ More progress yesterday with the temporary narrow gauge tracks being laid towards the Galway city direction, Exciting times ahead when after the open day (TB

A great day of work was completed at the spectacular Maam cross station, The cutting crew from Cork were buried for most of the day in the jungle but came out on top after successfully conquering

A return to Maam cross today for a driver/ guard refresher training which took place in glorious warm sunshine.   

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hopefully you can find some to use, 5ft 3 is a bit rare around the world, Over here in the UK some one had 3 or 4 swedish gauge locos as static exhibits, may be a source for a rebuilt 5ft 3ins gauge steam loco, I am not sure if they are 5ft or 5ft 6in, as they are of no use to anyone else it might be worth having a look at them for the future, also not sure about Indian either as they have 5ft 3ins gauge lines so might have the odd 4-4-0 in a scrap yard still.   

They’re 5’6”. The only places with 5’3” other than here are Australia (parts of) and Brazil, as far as I am aware. 

The larger 5’6” gauge is found in India, Pakistan, not sure about Bangladesh any more, and Sri Lanka.

The Spanish, Portuguese and Russians and some former soviet countries also have broad gauge.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

They’re 5’6”. The only places with 5’3” other than here are Australia (parts of) and Brazil, as far as I am aware. 

The larger 5’6” gauge is found in India, Pakistan, not sure about Bangladesh any more, and Sri Lanka.

The Spanish, Portuguese and Russians and some former soviet countries also have broad gauge.

Finland, too... :D 

• Like 1

Swedish railways are standard gauge 4'-8 1/2 not 5'-6'' and are actually linked by a bridge and tunnel between the Malmo & Copenhagen localities to the rest of Western European mainland systems and also the the Norwegian System. There were a fair number of 3'-6" and smaller gauge local lines which have all either closed, been converted to standard gauge or the odd preserved bit.

Finland has 5 feet gauge as it was under Russian control until WW11.

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, MOGUL said:

Surely Lough Erne would be ideal for this line? A nice tank engine, and I don't think the RPSI have any long term plans for mainline use

In theory.

However, the costs associated with operating a full-size steam locomotive, plus the regulatory regime, insurance costs, railway safety case and other stuff would make such a thing hopelessly uneconomic.

Even more so, the importation of a loco, conversion of it, and certification processes here - you'd need a hefty six-figure sum, or more like seven figure.

Downpatrick uses two TINY shunting engines and a TINY 5'3" gauge loco in rotation. These are barely economically viable even there, other than at Christmas, Easter, St. P's Day and Halloween.

Sadly, the market for railway preservation in its proper sense in Ireland is exceptionally small.

"Lough Erne" would be a lovely thing to behold (Galteemore here might just agree with me!) but would conservatively cost half a million sterling for an almost total rebuild from ground up - she's mechanically and internally in a shocking state, with most of the loco only fit for scrap.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • 5 months later...

Yes not much to report from the worksite due to COVID restrictions,

Here are a few photos from an aerial perspective of the site taken prior to the full lockdown,

We all hope to be back at the site as soon as the restrictions are eased,

Lots of new items and work to continue whenever possible,and it’s great to see various railway magazines giving us the necessary and useful publicity  

69A72D9E-123E-49F8-945C-5947B61E55DE.jpeg

CC02342B-D69E-4C27-8909-44A7D9370132.jpeg

4A87C937-550C-4BD8-951E-700E4B151939.jpeg

ED2A0072-D607-4AAF-A02D-F903F8DF20A3.jpeg

DBAE8407-B16E-42DC-A302-E343F4B77F50.jpeg

• Like 6
  • WOW! 1
48 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Noel, Are sure sure you aint got a 009 layout on the go there!! They look like something Peco would have in their Catalogue. Cute Aren't They!

George-I have enough to do with two layouts on the go....I’m happy just to drive the Maam cross version when I get the chance...!!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I had not seen that Chris Tarrant film before, I met Jacky Wheelan 10yrs ago he looks exactly the same as then! Probably the same Cap! Very proud of his crushed glass ballast!

• Like 1