Bord na Móna- rolling stock

Rate this topic

K801

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

A fair bit on several systems but get there quick, as its days are numbered.

Yes climate action means an almost immediate end to all peat harvesting, already peat power stations are being decommissioned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Holman said:

While the right thing to do, we can only hope that someone (s) will have the wherewithal to set up a museum of Turf, complete with working railways. As a key part of Irish industrial heritage, something needs preserving, you'd hope.

Stradbally have assembled short demonstration turf train. Probably the only working demonstration goods in the country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Holman said:

Better than nothing I guess, but given what has been done at the Arigna Mining Experience (really well done), am hoping for much better.

Unless B Na M resurrect the passenger carrying bog train and operate bog heritage environmental tours after cutting ceases I can't see much else happening. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Unless B Na M resurrect the passenger carrying bog train and operate bog heritage environmental tours after cutting ceases I can't see much else happening. 

Perhaps a sample stretch of line might be kept somewhere of 4 or 5 miles.....for such an attraction.

1 hour ago, NIR said:

The ones that look like caravans, wtf?

Crew cars! Genuinely, when working out in a remote and exposed bog in the midlands, and it starts pouring and you'd get up to your waist in mud....... and the tea breaks, and transporting workers to remote sites....

But - I get ya!

• Like 1

Edenderry Power Station (R401 Edenderry-Rathangan Rd, West Offaly Powerstation (Shannon Bridge)R357 Shannonbridge-Tullamore Rd & Lanesborough Power station should be good places to observe BNM Energy Divisions rail operations.

I griced BNM operations in Kildare and Offaly in the 90s and the newly opened Edenderry Station about 15 years ago. 

West Offaly Rail operations were readily visible from both the R357 & R436 including a loco stabling depot near Ferbane and Blackwater Works. There are/were a number of smaller isolated systems mainly in Kildare, Offaly and Westmeath these tend to be smaller in scale and have more in common with the Peat Railways in the UK, than the systems serving the peat fired power stations.

BNM Energy Division rail operations are/were a basically  scaled down 3' gauge 365-24/7 "Merry-Go-Round" train operation with fixed formation trains of (15) tippler wagons transporting milled peat rather than coal from stock piles to the power station.

The "Clonmacnoise and West Offaly" tourist railway and museum of the early 1990s originated as a Fás scheme for redundant BNM Blackwater staff and appears to have developed into a successful tourist operation catering mainly for coach tours.

Blackwater tourist train operations appear to have been discontinued because the tourist train operation was disrupting the flow of peat to the new West Offaly Power Station .

The whole business of de-commissioning three recently built relatively low emission power stations rather than conversion to burn home grown bio-mass reminds me of the Greencore saga with the closure of the Irish sugar industry and seems to have very little to do with reducing Irelands overall greenhouse emissions while leaving the coal burning Moneypoint power station on line.

Operation at Edenderry Power Station was/is interesting as trains from the West had to reverse direction in order to enter the power station.

2077383639_IrelandMayJuly2005053.jpg.dbda93715aa10741e72469a752f26fa0.jpg

Train 1 passing under R401 underbridge arriving from Mount Lucas direction. This section of line is double tracked.

598103267_IrelandMayJuly2005056.jpg.fec71fb791a55255ad20a165b7e4d941.jpg

Train 2 has coupled on to Train1. Loco Train 1 has uncoupled and is running forward on second running line.

923036556_IrelandMayJuly2005058.jpg.f38a333eb9d4c35b8e188321e3ff6adf.jpg

Loco of Train 2 pulls Train 1 & 2 clear of crossover as  former loco of Train 1 prepares to couple on to Train 2.

Track is typical BNM 'Main Line" with evidence of heavy sanding to keep trains moving. De-railed or defective stock was simply pushed to one side to minimise disruption to operations.

1201926552_IrelandMayJuly2005061.jpg.56c0631552526dbbea284c61101041d0.jpg

Train 2  approaching Edenderry Power Station.

1293548078_IrelandMayJuly2005062.jpg.fe294f7898b8f838c855751cbaafc37f.jpg

Train 1 crossing over from "Main Line" to power station reception roads.

1337575492_IrelandMayJuly2005064.jpg.5d608462c8faaa3f258ee5a2c81ec439.jpg

Trains 1 & 2 approaching tippler building as an empty train departs on the balloon loop.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 4

There is talk of various bogs becoming natural parks with possible rail attractions. There may be other plans as well....

Stradbally definately has an eye on a few items coming up, and to my knowledge is the only place where a reasonable accurate (bar length and loco livery) turf train can be found

Stradbally, 17/8/19

• Like 2

Its a pity that the guys at either of the Donegal projects don't have the room to store some of this stuff for a future project, I under some of the locos have already been sold to China, not sure how many are left but they would be good to try and buy one or two for a later date project.

• 2 years later...
23 hours ago, Lev Pavliuk said:

Are narrow gauge freight railways still in operation in Ireland?

Just the remaining Bord na Mona ones, if you’re quick!

And rather than “freight”, they only carry turf and spent ash.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:26 PM, spudfan said:

0-02-04-1a560581a38bb9005ba1629be43268bc5aaf6dccafa6d3f11e18113be1a95dc4_1337f609.jpg

If anyone wants a copy of this I have a spare one, for the cost of the postage.

On 9/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, jhb171achill said:

Just the remaining Bord na Mona ones, if you’re quick!

And rather than “freight”, they only carry turf and spent ash.

If anyone wants a copy of this I have a spare one, for the cost of the postage.

it turns out that only the edenderry power plant is working now?  I heard that they will switch to biofuel until 2023, do you know how long this railway will be active?

• 1 year later...

Sean Cain would be the expert on these operations, but he wrote here and there about the demise of one of these two systems (Attymon) a few years ago. I'm pretty certain that Clonkeen has gone too.

The demise of the bord na mona lines, such an iconic (and HUGE) part of Irish narrow gauge railway history, is happening in its final throes now, largely unnoticed by the enthusiast community. Evidently, it will be as good as gone within a few months from now.

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Sean Cain would be the expert on these operations, but he wrote here and there about the demise of one of these two systems (Attymon) a few years ago. I'm pretty certain that Clonkeen has gone too.

The demise of the bord na mona lines, such an iconic (and HUGE) part of Irish narrow gauge railway history, is happening in its final throes now, largely unnoticed by the enthusiast community. Evidently, it will be as good as gone within a few months from now.

Wandering back through his twitter pictures is well worth the time.

I have put some up occasionally on here.

• Like 1