Jump to content

My first bit of modelling in decades

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

So I've posted a bit about my forays into the electronic side of the hobby but in the past couple of days I've picked up the scalpel and attacked my first ever scalescenes kit. A few containers. Baby steps. 

IMG_20201013_214502064.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers Rob. It's certainly good practice for the future. I'll experiment a bit with different card thicknesses and see how I can improve upon what I've done so far. I'm trying to look at each one and see how I could have made it better.

One thing I realise I really need is an assortment of square blocks of steel or aluminium or something to help hold parts at right angles during glue curing. I'm away next week but I've found offcuts on eBay for small money and I'll order those for when I'm back at home.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat work and the models are YOURS, not simply taken from a box - though there are many wonderful and worthy things out there. Making your own does help broaden horizons if the right thing isn't available and can be very satisfying.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the encouragement folks. Ultimately I will need to be able to construct a reasonable likeness of actual station structures so I thought the scalescenes route would make sense. I'll try their free buildings kits out next and then move on to something more complex.

I'm just using generous amounts of pritt stick type glue to stick paper to card and normal uhu (actually the not drip version, which is slightly more jelly like) to stick the card edges/corners together.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yang Ming in the picture is the first I've constructed using 2mm solid card rather than corrugated cardboard. It's more difficult to cut but probably fairly unsurprisingly retains it's shape better as it doesn't compress at the ends/sides where a corrugation is missing.

 

IMG_20201014_093831783.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed Robert, for me it's c-rail all the way for the laden flats but these are ok from a distance and will someday (as I improve) end up in Limerick yard but most of these early attempts will be going the way of a certain 7 year old beside me lol.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting better with each iteration. The trick seems to be to add all the required fold lines before cutting out the end panels. The instructions only advise making the main folds before cutting.

Also I feel the internal bracing is a tiny bit too narrow so I'm cutting those out on the waste side of the line and adding a bit of "uhu padding" when assembling, otherwise the side walls seem to sit too recessed and not flush enough with the end walls.

IMG_20201014_121015646.jpg

Edited by murphaph
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

First attempts at a building, the tiny and free coal merchant one. My first attempt was not a success. I made errors in the assembly through carelessness and poor lighting (just working at the kitchen table). The second attempt in progress...

 

IMG_20201030_165013682.jpg

IMG_20201030_095330764.jpg

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use