Jump to content

Is the 121 the final MM model?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

 I supposed you should never say never to anything, there is of course for those who prefer steam the locos at Whiteheaven or Downpatrick to consider and possible new models, I know some have been done but there are also those in Cultra as well to think about.

 

Colin R

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colin R said:

 I supposed you should never say never to anything, there is of course for those who prefer steam the locos at Whiteheaven or Downpatrick to consider and possible new models, I know some have been done but there are also those in Cultra as well to think about.

 

Colin R

"Whiteheaven" - I like that!

It's been said before, of course, but a "WT" class 2.6.4T is probably the best idea for a commercially viable Irish steam loco, or maybe one of the GSWR 4.4.0 classes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

"Whiteheaven" - I like that!

It's been said before, of course, but a "WT" class 2.6.4T is probably the best idea for a commercially viable Irish steam loco, or maybe one of the GSWR 4.4.0 classes.

Haven’t a clue where that one came from, I must have been thinking of something else I guess, but yes heritage Irish steam loco they could add a bit of varity to anyone’s layout, according to Wikipedia there are 16 Standard Gauge Irish locos that have the possibly of having either kits or RTR model made of them.

In my opinion if you are going to do just one Irish steam loco then it has to be the one from the film the quiet man the American market would make sure it sold well, and better still if is also came with a train of carriages.

Once you have a working 4-4-0 Chassis it might be possible to develop a number of other Irish 4-4-0 loco types.

 

Colin  

Edited by Colin R
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colin R said:

 

In my opinion if you are going to do just one Irish steam loco then it has to be the one from the film the quiet man the American market would make sure it sold well, and better still if is also came with a train of carriages.

Well, that would work as the “Quiet Man” loco is exactly that - a GSWR 4.4.0!

As for others, there was such little in the way of standardisation that a generic 4.4.0 chassis would be unlikely to be possible.

The Hattons “Genesis” project 6-wheelers (not the 4-wheelers, though) are coincidentally not unlike several GSWR types, so if they can be persuaded to do some in CIE livery, we have suitable carriages!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Well, that would work as the “Quiet Man” loco is exactly that - a GSWR 4.4.0!

As for others, there was such little in the way of standardisation that a generic 4.4.0 chassis would be unlikely to be possible.

The Hattons “Genesis” project 6-wheelers (not the 4-wheelers, though) are coincidentally not unlike several GSWR types, so if they can be persuaded to do some in CIE livery, we have suitable carriages!

When Hatton’s spoke about the Genesis project, I did ask them if the liveries where fixed to those they had announced, at the time they could not confirm that but they where interested in the possibilities of further livery suggestions.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I've been on to them too. They only have to worry about two Irish liveries, unless you also go back to GSR, and if it was me, I would not be sure of a market for that. CIE's 1945-55 lined green, and 1955-63 lighter green would be all they'd need.

Here's hoping! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

"Whiteheaven" - I like that!

It's been said before, of course, but a "WT" class 2.6.4T is probably the best idea for a commercially viable Irish steam loco, or maybe one of the GSWR 4.4.0 classes.

Agree about a Jeep John. Strangely enough there is a care home in Whitehead called Whitehaven!

Edited by airfixfan
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I just hope they have a chat at MM and say "fuck it we will do a re run off everything"

Followed by the best reasonable explanation ever "for the craic" 

In all seriousness though if they do decide to continue what sort of timeline would you expect for something new.

Mrk2ds etc obviously wouldn't take very long. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IANG said:

In all seriousness though if they do decide to continue what sort of timeline would you expect for something new.

Mrk2ds etc obviously wouldn't take very long. 

In the current grand scheme of things, they would probably be unwise to offer a date. Too many variables are disrupting things right now- the Covidpox, backlogs in Chinese factories, transport delays, possible customs issues if travelling via Brexitland......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

In the current grand scheme of things, they would probably be unwise to offer a date. Too many variables are disrupting things right now- the Covidpox, backlogs in Chinese factories, transport delays, possible customs issues if travelling via Brexitland......

 

Also, Paddy Murphy is a one-man-band, so all of the research etc prior to even deciding what to run, falls squarely on his shoulders.

And, I'm sure he's pretty much flat-out for the next few months with the 121's!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use