Jump to content

mag and dolmite wagons

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

hi all new to the site and new to the world of modelling. looking for some info on the wagons that used to run on the waterford line to the magnsite factory as my model railway is going to be based on part of the line. so if there is a suppler of the wagons or kit that any of ye might know thanks 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Irish freight models used to do a rtr wagon,but I dont think they are selling anymore.The IRM ballast wagon is as close you will get to a mag wagon and would require significant alterations to the top of it.Another option is to get a Dapol prestwin kit and use the chassis and some of the parts along with scratch built body that you would have to do.A rtr mag wagon would certainly  be very welcome in the future???

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for your help i had being looking in to modding the dapol kit and getting a buddy of mine who has a 3d printer to do the bodies. if i could only get the drawings or dimensions of the real wagons then i would have it cracked :Happy1:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Kevin@DiveController

I kind of prefer this video as it is an earlier era on the same line and has brake vans at the end of mixed rake formation goods wagons. Uniform formations of the same fitted wagons lacking a brake van punctuating the end cause my eyes to blink. I've actually cycled along that line now that it is a greenway, the scenery is stunning as are some of the structures and viaducts. Love the views out to sea from the cliff top east of Dungarvan. Managed to cycled alongside the suir valley railway train for a few km as well. I'd highly recommend the Waterford greenway, its stunning and superbly serviced by cycle hire companies and hospitality along the 45km route. Fabulous scenery. I was almost humming GM notching sounds as we approached major structures. The level crossing in Dungarvan was the longest in the country and must have been an absolute nightmare during summer season for the gate keeper. In the clip below some of the goods trains and passenger trains clipped along at some speed over some of the viaducts and bridges, no H&S speed limits back then even for the loose coupled unbraked wagons. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/2/2021 at 7:37 PM, mag train said:

thanks for your help i had being looking in to modding the dapol kit and getting a buddy of mine who has a 3d printer to do the bodies. if i could only get the drawings or dimensions of the real wagons then i would have it cracked :Happy1:

The IRM ballast and gypsum hoppers would have the correct chassis and gubbins, the body just screws off and you can use some of the bracing parts etc to add to the body you create. The Dapol prestwin kit would be very wrong in comparison, but depends how accurate you want them. 

Cheers!

Fran

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

The IRM ballast and gypsum hoppers would have the correct chassis and gubbins, the body just screws off and you can use some of the bracing parts etc to add to the body you create. The Dapol prestwin kit would be very wrong in comparison, but depends how accurate you want them. 

Cheers!

Fran

Any chance of some 'swap bodies' of the magnesite then?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Noel said:

Thanks Kevin@DiveController

I kind of prefer this video as it is an earlier era on the same line and has brake vans at the end of mixed rake formation goods wagons. Uniform formations of the same fitted wagons lacking a brake van punctuating the end cause my eyes to blink. I've actually cycled along that line now that it is a greenway, the scenery is stunning as are some of the structures and viaducts. Love the views out to sea from the cliff top east of Dungarvan. Managed to cycled alongside the suir valley railway train for a few km as well. I'd highly recommend the Waterford greenway, its stunning and superbly serviced by cycle hire companies and hospitality along the 45km route. Fabulous scenery. I was almost humming GM notching sounds as we approached major structures. The level crossing in Dungarvan was the longest in the country and must have been an absolute nightmare during summer season for the gate keeper. In the clip below some of the goods trains and passenger trains clipped along at some speed over some of the viaducts and bridges, no H&S speed limits back then even for the loose coupled unbraked wagons. 

 

Although I did not see any trains the section of line around the headland at Ballyvoyle and the level crossings in Dungarvan left a profound impression on me as a kid on a family road trip from Dublin to Cork a couple of years before the line closed. I was lucky enough to travel over the line as a passenger in two IRRS Specials including one just before the line closed and later explored sections of the line.

The line was probably was busiest and carried its heaviest tonnage during the days of the Quigley Magnesite operations, apart from the Boat Trains both passenger and goods traffic was quite light on the Mallow-Waterford line

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DiveController said:

Any chance of some 'swap bodies' of the magnesite then?

 

I asked that question of IRM some while ago and the market for the magnesite wagons is so small as to be not a goer at all!

Stephen

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, StevieB said:

I asked that question of IRM some while ago and the market for the magnesite wagons is so small as to be not a goer at all!

Stephen

Makes sense. Like the Tara's few folks may have ever seen such specialist trains in real life, hence lack of nostalgia memory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3D printed Magnesite & Fuel Oil tank bodies to fit the IRM ballast wagon chassis would be the simplest would be the simplest may of modelling the Tivoli-Ballinacourty Magnesite and Oil trains with the IRM 001 class for haulage, with pairs of MM 141/181s on the Dolomite ore trains (IRM ballast wagons).

Its possible to achieve a similar standard of finish to injection molded plastic using SLA printing though unit cost is higher than Shapeways, or if you are lucky enough to have a friend that can produce the CAD work and has a 3D printer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use