new murphys products

Rate this topic

mphoey

While you're waiting for someone to do a RTR of a wagon / carriage you want - have a go at building a kit! (Mine even!).

WCR is talking about Ciaran Cooney's brilliant presentation of Leslie Hyland's Black and white images taken 1950 - 1965-ish. Briiliantly taken originally and full of detail modellers try to recreate.

Mr Hyland was a master of his craft and Ciaran has done a very fine job of researching the details of what we saw - nearly every county in Ireland was covered.

I might even get a green A Class ........

• Like 4

I'm guessing the fact the IRM lads chose to release the very early variant A's means that somewhere down the line they will release suitable rolling stock. The Accurascale announcement yesterday should certainly reassure modellers of (much) earlier eras that the lads have an interest in producing (very) early stock and the fact that stock from the 1880s ran for an incredible 80 years makes it a commercially sensible proposition I guess. All in good time and all that.

• Like 2

And in the meantime we could all take a leaf out of WCR’s book as below in terms of recycling Hornby stuff etc. Don’t be afraid of kit bashing or scratch building. It is nowhere near as difficult as it looks. If you can use a knife and fork you already have the skills! 

It also gives you a much deeper awareness of how the prototype was built and functioned.

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

hoplefully one day but for now, I have to get back to respecting hornby open wagons and trying to get Bachman LMS coaches in CIE green for a lot of money! 

Mites 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

The funding of state owned railways is entirely at the behest of the government concerned, which is why the obvious is very often the least likely cause of action. The privatisation of BR, back whenever, has gradually been undone over the years, firstly the privately owned Railtrack morphing into the publically owned Network Rail, then the public owned operator of last resort for failed franchises, leaving only the privately owned rolling stock companies.

Stephen

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I'll take a rake of Cravens with new numbers, especially welcome would be the original livery ones.

9 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Presume he means mk2’s. 

Oh yeah probably. I'm more interested in these than the Cravens to be honest. They're IR too which suits me better.

Timing wise it sounds like we might be forking out a lot in the last quarter on coaches from both sides of the border 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Quick question about the Cravens. Were they ever hauled in a scheduled train by steam traction or only later by preserved steam on specials? They came in right at the end of steam so I'm not sure. I don't recall seeing any photos of such but it's not my area of expertise (nothing is lol).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Quick question about the Cravens. Were they ever hauled in a scheduled train by steam traction or only later by preserved steam on specials? They came in right at the end of steam so I'm not sure. I don't recall seeing any photos of such but it's not my area of expertise (nothing is lol).

I've had a look through Lance King's photographs in the IRRS collection and I cannot see any photos of steam hauling Cravens coaches pre 1965 (end of steam on the Dubliin -Belfast semi-fasts). "Laminates" yes, but not Cravens.

• Informative 4

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

No, never.

The first Cravens went into traffic several months after the last steam locos had stopped operating.

Similarly, they never ran with a train containing six-wheelers, as these disappeared from traffic the same time as steam, March 1963; the very first Cravens were late 1963, others 1964 and up to 1967.

For steam, the following carriages are suitable, in order of age: 

1.  Six-wheelers (by late 50s, MGWR & GSWR types - WLWR & DSER ones seem to have almost totally gone). Four six-wheeled full brakes remained, all of GSWR origin, and gained the black'n'tan livery; the last two surviving until the late 1960s.

2.  Wooden bogies - by late 50s almost all of GSWR origin - a handful of MGWR and one or two DSER and WLWR.

3.  Bredins - 1930s GSR

4.  Early 1950s CIE - essentially Bredin design

5.  Park Royals

6.  Ex-GNR coaches of various types appeared on CIE from very late 1958.

7.  Laminates

8.  "Tin Vans" - four wheeled only - luggage vans and heating vans (the 6-wheeled heating vans appeared in 1965). Bogie generator vans are late 1960s (Dutch) and early 1970s (BR) onwards.

For the DIESEL era:

The "A", "B101", "C" and "B121" classes all ran with the above stock in green when new, but obviously "graduated" to more modern stock later. The 141s started life alongside the Cravens, but also would have hauled all of the above bar the passenger-carrying six-wheelers. Likewise the 181s. By the time the 071s appeared, Mk 2s had appeared, and of the above, only Cravens, Park Royals and laminates remained. The very last Bredins were withdrawn shortly before the 071s went into traffic.

The quirky one, of course; the "G" class. One hauled a MGWR six-wheeled passenger brake on the Foynes line for a few weeks, and several members of the class hauled "laminate"-based 1904 and 1910 (separately) on the Loughrea branch between 1963 and 1975!

• Like 3
  • Informative 3

4 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I don't think the mk3's were ever due first. There's no tooling for them yet.

Not wishing to speak for Mr.  Murphy but with timelines as they are in China at the moment, we shared fully finished tooling samples of the Mark 2b coaches last August and we should have them in stock by this August. 

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Not wishing to speak for Mr.  Murphy but with timelines as they are in China at the moment, we shared fully finished tooling samples of the Mark 2b coaches last August and we should have them in stock by this August. 

Are IRM supporting Murphy Models with the production of the 201s and Mark 3s? Any any cad designs for the new 201s in at any stage? If so It would be nice to see them.

I am really really a fan of the 201s. I like their noise they make whenever the driver opens up the notch controller.

Regards Kian. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I don't think BosKonay way saying what you think he was saying Kian 🤔

I think he was just highlighting how long we can expect to wait for models coming out of China to go on sale (in general), ie a year from having the tooling to being available to purchase....and new tooling was/is required for the Mk3s.

Not wishing to speak for BosKonay that is 😉

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Power shortages in China
Chinese New Year coming up soon
Lack of workers
Price of raw material & shipping going up by the day
No trains or flights allowed over Ukraine atm
The list goes on
And you wonder why things are delayed!

All valid points and I wonder are some or all of these contributing to some manufacturers' decisions to repatriate at least some of their manufacturing to Europe. Märklin (to Hungary) have and I believe Dapol (to the UK) also. It'll be an interesting trend to watch over the coming years. Perhaps a cluster of contract manufacturers will open up around the Märklin site in Hungary, for example, as expertise is gained locally and ex-Märklin engineers decide they can set up their own operations for the contract market. I'm guessing that's what happened in Guangdong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

All valid points and I wonder are some or all of these contributing to some manufacturers' decisions to repatriate at least some of their manufacturing to Europe. Märklin (to Hungary) have and I believe Dapol (to the UK) also. It'll be an interesting trend to watch over the coming years. Perhaps a cluster of contract manufacturers will open up around the Märklin site in Hungary, for example, as expertise is gained locally and ex-Märklin engineers decide they can set up their own operations for the contract market. I'm guessing that's what happened in Guangdong.

The Dapol manufacturing in the UK is for very simple items, not OO gauge locomotives for instance. Marklin is reflected in price and comparative lack of separately applied parts. 

Should we bring our standard (IRM) models to European manufacturing, either minimum wage would need to be around €2 per hour, or RRP of a loco around €800 (If produced in a Western Europe developed economy). It's as simple as that. And that's before kitting out a factory, training a legion of workers, and them demonstrating the patience and skill required. Eastern Europe is still too unproven as an entity for the level of detail demanded in our markets. Not to mention politically volatile situation in Eastern Europe as we speak.  

It's not going to happen unless we want a serious erosion of our living standards, or we are happy to pay 4 times the price we currently do for an A Class. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I wasn't really thinking about IRM setting up its own factory in fairness 😄 I was really just wondering aloud will more large European manufacturers follow the Märklin path and could that in time create the environment whereby a cluster of skilled contract manufacturing could spring up as it did in China. From what I understand of the Märklin operation, they tend to do the heavily mechanised stuff like injection moulding and casting in Germany and then ship those components to Hungary for finishing and assembly due to lower labour costs. I think they do assemble their normal h0 scale rolling stock in Hungary. I guess the other factor is that Chinese wages are rising too and as the wealth gap between China and (initially Eastern) Europe closes, the fundamentals that current practices are based on can certainly change. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I wasn't really thinking about IRM setting up its own factory in fairness 😄 I was really just wondering aloud will more large European manufacturers follow the Märklin path and could that in time create the environment whereby a cluster of skilled contract manufacturing could spring up as it did in China. From what I understand of the Märklin operation, they tend to do the heavily mechanised stuff like injection moulding and casting in Germany and then ship those components to Hungary for finishing and assembly due to lower labour costs. I think they do assemble their normal h0 scale rolling stock in Hungary. I guess the other factor is that Chinese wages are rising too and as the wealth gap between China and (initially Eastern) Europe closes, the fundamentals that current practices are based on can certainly change. 

Nor was I Phil, those are general points for any manufacturer who would be looking at it. Just substitute A Class (merely an example) for a 201, Class 66, Class 47, French, Swiss, etc)

If production in China is no longer viable it will move to a new economy, but I really cannot see that being Eastern Europe, considering that many of these nations have joined or wish to join the EU and improve their own living standards.

• Like 1

It's a much broader topic than model railways for sure. I guess we already see places like Vietnam and even North Korea replacing some of the low end stuff that the Chinese used to do. The Chinese took on the stuff the Taiwanese used to do and the Taiwanese took on the stuff the Japanese used to do. Who knows....maybe someday our models will be made in Afghanistan.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1