"Iarnród Enda", RTE1 5th April

Rate this topic

skinner75

1 hour ago, skinner75 said:

https://www.rte.ie/gaeilge/2021/0330/1206964-rediscovering-irelands-railway-routes-iarnrod-enda/

Six part series, first being on the Waterford to Dungarvan line.

Looks like something similar to Michael Portillo's show

Here is me praying the west cork gets an episode 🙃🙏

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Here is me praying the west cork gets an episode

Its not on the list I have been given for what is hopefully a first series. I have provided  views for the Lough Swilly programme but don't know how many will survive the 'cutting room' I doubt that I will be able to view the series here in the "Centre of Britain"

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Its not on the list I have been given for what is hopefully a first series. I have provided  views for the Lough Swilly programme but don't know how many will survive the 'cutting room' I doubt that I will be able to view the series here in the "Centre of Britain"

Ooooooh what is on "the list" or is it top secret confidential stuff?

Well they never said it was confidential! So lines they were looking for photos were Dundalk, Newry & Greenore, Lough Swilly, Achill-Westport, Giants Causeway & West Clare plus the Dungarvan one.

I have this one, not yet uploaded to Flickr, on the Bandon to alleviate your suffering. 

A well photographed Special 17 March 1961

CBSCR 1961-03-17 Cork, Albert Quay 464 IRRS Spl JGD6146.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

39 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Well they never said it was confidential! So lines they were looking for photos were Dundalk, Newry & Greenore, Lough Swilly, Achill-Westport, Giants Causeway & West Clare plus the Dungarvan one.

I have this one, not yet uploaded to Flickr, on the Bandon to alleviate your suffering. 

A well photographed Special 17 March 1961

CBSCR 1961-03-17 Cork, Albert Quay 464 IRRS Spl JGD6146.jpg

There hardly going to do a full episode on the giants causway railway! Oh well at least the west clare, achill DNGR and lough swilly get covered

• Like 1

Supplied some photos and info for both the Swilly and the DNGR. Also oddly enough the first of a 2 part article on the DNGR in current issue of Railway Bylines with the usual minor errors in article/photos

13 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

There hardly going to do a full episode on the giants causway railway! Oh well at least the west clare, achill DNGR and lough swilly get covered

They have a 30 minute episode in the can on the Giants Causeway and "steam railway" today!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I swear twould be easier to not british railway footage then to use it! Anyway im off to watch off the beaten track on youtube!

GNRI 83 and Lough Swilly clips as well in a Waterford focused episode, but shoving in a brace of A4s is the ultimate case of any old choo choo will do. 

I don't think there was a single mention why it was built or that it was a boat train route. It just struck me as very rushed, drone shots and short interviews shoehorned into a half hour slot, basically an ad for greenways.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, minister_for_hardship said:

GNRI 83 and Lough Swilly clips as well in a Waterford focused episode, but shoving in a brace of A4s is the ultimate case of any old choo choo will do. 

Meanwhile I'm watching "bernards working comics", a programme about taking the mick with Irish rail staff on RTE 2 as we speak and there has already been better old railway footage!

5 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

I don't think there was a single mention why it was built or that it was a boat train route. It just struck me as very rushed, drone shots and short interviews shoehorned into a half hour slot, basically an ad for greenways.

Like nationwide, but with wierd bits like that penny farthing scene 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jhb171achill said:

I knew it.

I was put in touch with one of the research team for this, and I sent them off some info. From the get-go, I realised I was dealing with people with  zero knowledge of railways, Ireland or both.

I absolutely dread to think what will be in the others.

A Kreigslok heading to Achill, maybe a Pannier tank on the Swilly?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Just now, minister_for_hardship said:

A Kreigslok heading to Achill, maybe a Pannier tank on the Swilly?

Would not surprise me in the slightest.

That actually REALLY annoys me; when so-called researchers don't do an OUNCE of research, and cobble together any old "steam train engine" stuff of a "train" running into a "train station" on "train tracks" - and yes, a Scottish equivalent of an ICR built in 1998 is fine to show the Cavan & Leitrim in 1900..........

If any history is to be recorded, it MUST be done accurately. Even if it's a "chat-show"-standard programme starring a culchie with wild hair.

Jayyyysus...... I'm off to get me shmelling salts................! 

• Funny 2

4 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

That actually REALLY annoys me; when so-called researchers don't do an OUNCE of research, and cobble together any old "steam train engine" stuff of a "train" running into a "train station" on "train tracks" - and yes, a Scottish equivalent of an ICR built in 1998 is fine to show the Cavan & Leitrim in 1900..........

If any history is to be recorded, it MUST be done accurately. Even if it's a "chat-show"-standard programme starring a culchie with wild hair.

Exclusive look at giants causway tramway footage there going to use:

662689676_download(16).jpeg.33062b9dd6bfe7177e71f87dab1d68e6.jpeg

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The majority of the viewing public would not notice the difference between an ICR and a a C&L train of 1900.

When I worked as guard on a UK heritage line a lot of our bread and butter non-enthusiasts could not tell the difference between a steam and a diesel loco, they both made smoke and a lot of noise.

They enjoyed the ritual of travelling on an old style train at a leisurely speed looking at the scenery or just chatting, an escape from the hassle of every day commuting whether by car or public transport.

• Like 2

Enjoyed by film clip of the Lough Swilly supplied with photos for episode 4 being used to transport Derry to Waterford for a day. Will wait now for my photos of Greenore Hotel to appear at the "Giants Causeway Steam Railway" sponsored by the local dodgy MP!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Mayner said:

The majority of the viewing public would not notice the difference between an ICR and a a C&L train of 1900.

When I worked as guard on a UK heritage line a lot of our bread and butter non-enthusiasts could not tell the difference between a steam and a diesel loco, they both made smoke and a lot of noise.

They enjoyed the ritual of travelling on an old style train at a leisurely speed looking at the scenery or just chatting, an escape from the hassle of every day commuting whether by car or public transport.

It is as easy to do a thing right as wrong. I don't see the point of asking folks like Jhb, who know their beans, to contribute and then just ignore their input and do your own mish mash interpretation.

A friend of mine (non enthusiast) watched it and said it looked lovely but said didn't learn all that much about the railway. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

It is as easy to do a thing right as wrong. I don't see the point of asking folks like Jhb, who know their beans, to contribute and then just ignore their input and do your own mish mash interpretation.

A friend of mine (non enthusiast) watched it and said it looked lovely but said didn't learn all that much about the railway. 

I remember at school we were all asked to do some sort of science project - can’t remember for the life of me what it was about - something to do with ions.... two out of the whole class truly cracked it and were able to stand up and explain the concept simply and coherently. I picked up on one detail which seemed at variance with what the teacher had told us. 

Suffice to say that it became evident that the teacher didn’t fully grasp the issue, and awarded first prize to another student on the basis of excellent presentation! And this student was one of the majority who, due to inadequate teaching, hadn’t grasped it either!

We live in an age where atmosphere matters more than accuracy. You’d think that as we are apparently more sophisticated and educated than ever before we could at least spell and use grammar effectively - how often does that lapse! A century ago, a visiting Englishman once criticised a Dublin street preacher for an overly technical commentary on Catholic doctrine. When the talk had finished, however, he heard two Dublin working men dissecting the arguments with analytical precision. My grandfather, who was a shipyard cabinet maker with a limited education, had a bookshelf that would not be common now and could discuss literature with the best of them. Just been reading an American academic textbook which says that education is now about drawing out our inner gifts rather than teaching us things....good luck with that! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1