GSWR locos and livery

Rate this topic

Johnny B. Good

Hi all, I’m new to model railways and this forum, but I’ve read through a lot of discussions and I’ve already learned a lot. So thank you for that. I was hoping to figure this out myself but I just don’t have the level of knowledge you guys. But I want to set up a small track using oo scale, based roughly on the GSWR. For me, perfect replica models are just not an option, but just to get started I’ve been looking at what to a casual observer would look close enough, and then go from there. But just getting started has been frustrating. I did speak with some really helpful guys at the Railway Preservation Society who directed me here and suggested for a loco Hornby’s Dean Goods 0-6-0 2301 Class No 2538 based on my wanting to model the 101 loco (or 184/186?). And I wanted to do this because my grandfather and his older brothers worked on the GSWR, one of them staying on the same lines until the 1950’s. So I found a used Dean Goods but now the problem is the coaches. I got some cheap, ancient, Hornby 4 wheeled coaches, again just to get started, but I’d really like to know what (if any) I can look for for the future. I’ve looked at the reviews for the newer Hornsby and Hatton’s 4 and 6 wheel coaches and reviews of the ration kits, but it would be great if someone could just say look, you need a first class, 2 third class, a third class brake a composite and get this brand model. Because for me it’s hard to figure out with all the variations of possibilities based on era, line, plus what little is available. I’m trying to do something from the time of 1900 to 1925 in Kerry so coaches that have would have run at that time on Tralee, Killarney, Kenmare lines I guess? And then the problem with livery is I’ve read that GSWR cars were painted, at various times, purple, grey, light brown and green. So I was hoping my life would be easy and I could just get Hornby GWR brown/cream coaches or the GSR green coaches. Or should I just save up and get the Hornby Terrier set, as I don’t have track or power yet either! I know, totally clueless. 😂 Anyway, thanks for your patience and tolerance, and any advice would be forever appreciated.
John