Märklin Trix DCC controller with Hornby track

Rate this question

Gortalainn

Question

Hi folks, 

During a visit to a German model shop I got a chance to try one of the Märklin DCC controllers. I was quite impressed by it, but when I asked if the Trix version would work with the Hornby track I have at home the lad in the shop didn't know. I was wondering if any of ye might have any experience with using one, and if ye had any success on the Hornby track? On top of that, would I be able to use any decoder in the locos or is there a specific one I'd need to get? 

Thanks a million! 
Kevin

2 answers to this question

Back in the 1980s I had a Märklin HO model railway.  This was before DCC but the Marklin power system was 16V AC with a stud supply “third rail” along the track centreline as opposed to 2 rail DC, i.e. Hornby.

Nowadays Marklin and Trix are the same company (Marklin) with Marklin models being 3-rail AC and Trix 2-rail DC.

I don’t know if the “MFX” DCC system that Marklin uses works for both the 3-rail and 2-rail systems but it may be that you need a Marklin system for 3-rail and a different Trix system for 2-rail.

It may be worth contacting someone like Gaugemaster to find out.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Back in the 1980s I had a Märklin HO model railway.  This was before DCC but the Marklin power system was 16V AC with a stud supply “third rail” along the track centreline as opposed to 2 rail DC, i.e. Hornby.

Nowadays Marklin and Trix are the same company (Marklin) with Marklin models being 3-rail AC and Trix 2-rail DC.

I don’t know if the “MFX” DCC system that Marklin uses works for both the 3-rail and 2-rail systems but it may be that you need a Marklin system for 3-rail and a different Trix system for 2-rail.

It may be worth contacting someone like Gaugemaster to find out.

Cheers

Darius

Cheers Darius, it's because of that 3-rail system that I'm asking. Looking at the manual for the unit I'm looking at, it seems to be compatible with all kinds of track, it's not 100% clear if that's just Marklin branded versions of it though... I'm after reaching out to Gaugemaster now anyway, we'll see what they say.

Thanks for the tip. 
Kevin