Limerick diecast model and diorama show Sept 16th

Rate this topic

snapper

A CAHERCONLISH man started Limerick’s first diecast model and diorama show last year and it was the biggest in the country.

Over 3,000, aged from two to 80 years of age, attended the show in the South Court and organiser, Mark Tierney, is hoping for even more at their second show.

It takes place in the South Court Hotel on Sunday, September 16 from 10am to 6pm.

There will be a huge display of miniature trucks, cars, tractors, farm machinery, trains and construction equipment for collectors to see.

Traders from all over the country will come to Limerick to sell their diecast models.

Mark says there has been a huge increase in the popularity of diecast models in recent years and there are many collectors in County Limerick.

“We were amazed by the crowds that came last year as we didn’t know what to expect. It’s going to be even bigger this year with hundreds and hundreds of different models,” said Mark.

It costs €7 to enter and under 12s go free. Like last year all the proceeds from the event will go to Limerick Animal Welfare in Kilfinane.

“They are in badly of need of funds to run their sanctuary and are a fantastic charity. We raised close to €1,000,” said Mark. Many of the models will be displayed in the scenes they feature in everyday life.

“With the dioramas the displayers will be putting their models in real life situations only on a smaller scale. One of the exhibitors is even putting in a river. Tractors might be put in a silage scene or the construction machinery in to a quarry,” he says.

The intricate detail on the models is far removed from the toy tractors and cars we all played with as children.

“They’re not plastic, they are real metal. They start at €30 and I met a fellow who had a model elevator driving up silted sand to the washing plant in a quarry and he paid €600 for it,” said Mark, who has turned a hobby in to a full-time job.

“From a young age I started collecting scale 1:32 agricultural models because I am from a farming background.

“I started to attend model shows from 2006 and then turned my attention to collecting scale 1:50 truck models and this led to Wsi brand model trucks,” explained the 22 year-old.

Around this time he met Mark Downey, Oola, who has a similar love for diecasts.

They began to travel to shows together and suddenly the two men’s hobby turned in to a business.

An opportunity arose from a company called PCM in England to promote the Wsi brand and they started selling and distributing the vehicles throughout the country. They formed M & M Model Trucks.

There are shows all around Ireland but none in Limerick so the two Marks decided to organise one at home. Proving the number of collectors last year was the crowd.

They also welcome people with unusual or extensive collections who would like to put it on display. For more details contact Mark on 087 3277757 or email markptierney@eircom.net.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/your-life/organisers-get-in-top-gear-for-limerick-diecast-model-show-1-4226665