Can you help me with Wiring 'sensored tracks' occupancy blocks to halt trains

Rate this question

WaYSidE

Question

I need advice please.

is it better to allow the software to stop the train, or install the short isolated sections at each end of occupation blocks

what are the best lay out options for automation of occupation blocks, to slow loco down and then stop them...other than driving the train to a sudden stop,

what choices are there other than choices below?

I can use any range of sensors, even mixed types depending,  cant find one that does everything, infr-red suits some places,

so, until i decide, i think its best if i cut or make isolation gaps on both rails and not return a common -, neg bluewire,

instead, each occupation block will be on its own power block for ease of fault finding, ,  as my turnout layout allows 14 longer sections of rail, without any turnouts, 5 x these are over 8 feet, long , and some shorter ones, but as the shorter are on d slower sections of my lines, slowing and stopping wont be so 'lurchful'l for my passangers and cargos. so it to the longer sections i address hte question, is it better to allow the software to stop the train, or install the short isolated sections at each end of occupation blocks

in particular, in option 3 with pic is my drawing correct.

I am sub dividing up DCC power blocks into 'sensored tracks' occupancy blocks, and non sensored power blocks,

In 'sensored tracks' occupancy blocks -- i intend stopping trains in exact positions,

from the web, i seem to have options,  number 3 below, I saw on youtube but cant find the video again....its my preferred choice,

1. measure track measure all carriages and loco, enter data  to software. (i will do this for rakes i wont often be  breaking) but kids use the layout, and they like 'breaking trains'

2. visual judgement where i can see the tracks (short trains)

3. installing short isolated tracks at ends of occupation blocks, , as per attached drawing, (mixed freight, passenger lines, where train lengths will be dynamic based on cargos collected enroute, and most likely will vary on each journey

see attachmnet, the red marks are both rails-gapped sections, the two short occupied gapped sensor'ed blocks are where the train stops at either end. the middle section will have speed limit, if the train is due to stop in block.

I referred to https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=sensors, A helpful page, where i realise i need to describe above in terms of..

note:

Three Sensors, = system like my drawing

• With three sensors, enter, pre2in and in, the train decelerates to V_mid4) at enter and to V_min at pre2in.
    If one sets V_min quite low (practical value: 10 kph), then the brake setting of the locomotive does have a limited influence only. All locomotives will stop quickly after arriving at in. This leads to the very exact stopping point. The divergence lies within clearly less than 1 cm!.
    In addition, the pre2in can be in a way abused to allow shorter trains an earlier stopping point: To achieve this the respective locomotives are set to "stop at pre2in" in the locomotives properties. Now for these locomotives the pre2in has the function of the in-sensor. Accordingly these locomotives decelerate to V_mid5) at enter and stop at pre2in.
One Sensor, =
  • If only one physical sensor is used - e.g., for cost reasons, or to hold the wiring expenditure low - this sensor is defined as enter2in. The physical sensor generates the enter-event and starts a timer which generates the in-event after its expiration. The train decelerates to V_mid6) at enter and if the timer is elapsed (in-event) it decelerates to a halt.
    The timer (event timer) is found in the Routes Dialogue of the block properties and is valid for all routes of the block equally. Moreover, the timer can be set individually for each locomotive in the Locomotive Details.
    For standard section blocks with low demands for a precisely reproduceable stopping point this is one very well applicable configuration. Even a stopping exactness of few centimetres can be achieved by fine adjusting of the locomotive decoders, in particular the deceleration time (CV4). However, it must be made sure that the train comes to a halt position within the block borders. If a more exact stopping point is desired, however, an own sensor for the in-event should be used.

occupation stops-1.jpg

Edited by WaYSidE
link and better script
  • Like 1

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet