Peco point motor wiring.

Rate this question

patrick

Question

I am planning some changes to the layout and need advice regarding powering Peco point motors. Two crossovers are planned which will require two points to be operated simultaenusly. I am planning to use Capicator  discharge unit and a power source will be required. I was also hoping to use solderless female connectors to hook up the point motors if podssible  to avoid soldering in the vicinity of my foam baseboard. What size wire should be used? What output should the transformer have and what size female connectors  will work with Peco point motors? Any advise greatly appreciated.

Edited by patrick

3 answers to this question

Hi Patrick, I'm using Peco point motors and have wired up a couple to change simultaneously. Like you, I'm using a CDU to aid driving power to the motors - the Gaugemaster one. All droppers and points have 16/0.2mm wire used with no problems. For a power source for the point motors I am using an old 16v transformer from a Scalextric set or similar and again serves its purpose well. 

The only thing I can't help you with is the female connectors as I've gone with the soldering approach. As an alternative to those connectors could you solder short wires to the motors to dangle away from your foam baseboard and then meet that with another wire and solder together at that point. Using the heat shrink wraps would then protect those joins. 

Paul

Not to push you further in the direction of soldering but I found this link from Model Rail forum that may be of interest when it comes to these harnesses. 

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11980

Of course, materials may have changed since this intitial posting 8 years ago. 

Paul

P.S. This was my 100th post. :-bd

Edited by PaulC
  • Thanks 1