Operating Dapol Semaphore Signals

Rate this question

patrick

Question

I am considering using Peco switches to control the points on my layout but would also like to use them to operate Dapol semaphore signals so I can have a signal cabin lever frame effect. Does anyone know if this can be done?  Thanks.

4 answers to this question

The Dapol semaphores are controlled by a pushbutton to change its position. The pushbutton shall connect two yellow wires. Each time you press the button the semaphore changes position.

The Peco point switches have a momentary contact at each end of the lever movement which makes it difficult to use here.

There are several solutions out there to allow a "lever effect":

• There are a few commercial kits that allow an on-off switch to generate the momentary connection the semaphore needs. Simple solution but the unit may get out-of-sync with the semaphore.
  • MERG has a kit to change the behaviour so that a single yellow wire is controlling the semaphore. Connect this yellow wire to an on-off switch. A fiddly solution as you need to replace the built-in circuit board. It can be done. I have done it twice.
  • The Megapoint guy has a video showing how he replaced the existing mechanism with a servo. Then he controls the semaphore with his Megapoint controller which even allows him to get the bounce effect.

I have never used the Dapol semaphore signals, but from what I have read, all that is required is a momentary power connection , or pulse, to operate the signal. The simplest way for operation is a push button. The first press of the button moves the signal one way, the next press moves it the other way, and so on.

The Peco point switch provides two such pulses, one for each position of the lever. Unfortunately, as it stands, this is no use whatsoever for the Dapol signals. However, today I dissected a Peco point switch, to see how it operated, and discovered that if the two outer terminals are connected together and then to one wire from the signal, and the middle terminal is connected to the other wire, the Peco switch will provide one pulse to the signal each time the lever is moved. By an ingenious lever mechanism, the pulse only happens towards the end of the lever movement, so it is very unlikely that the signal will get out of sequence with the lever, as the lever has to be moved fully before the pulse is created..     

• Informative 1

On 5/25/2018 at 6:23 AM, Dhu Varren said:

I have never used the Dapol semaphore signals, but from what I have read, all that is required is a momentary power connection , or pulse, to operate the signal. The simplest way for operation is a push button. The first press of the button moves the signal one way, the next press moves it the other way, and so on.

The Peco point switch provides two such pulses, one for each position of the lever. Unfortunately, as it stands, this is no use whatsoever for the Dapol signals. However, today I dissected a Peco point switch, to see how it operated, and discovered that if the two outer terminals are connected together and then to one wire from the signal, and the middle terminal is connected to the other wire, the Peco switch will provide one pulse to the signal each time the lever is moved. By an ingenious lever mechanism, the pulse only happens towards the end of the lever movement, so it is very unlikely that the signal will get out of sequence with the lever, as the lever has to be moved fully before the pulse is created..     

That would be great! I will order a Peco switch and check it out as soon as  converting the layout to DCC is completed. Thanks.

Edited by patrick