Suffering for ones art...

Rate this topic

spudfan

When I built my first layout it was in my bedroom in my parents house. It was built into a frame work attached to the wall and folded outwards onto stands. When the layout was folded down for use it covered my bed and most of the room that remained. The upshot was that once the layout was being used, the bed wasn't. I used to sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor wedged between the bed and the wall with the layout above me. So when it came down from the wall for use everything, bar track and ballast had to be put in situ on the layout. When I got fed up sleeping on the floor and fancied the comfort of a bed again everything bar the track and ballast had to be removed and packed away and the layout folded back into its wall frame work, until my next model railway fix was needed. It used to break my heart to see my painstakingly applied ballast showering down when the layout was moved either up or down.

My current layout has been in situ in my attic for about 25 years. Comfort indeed (if at times a little "cold comfort")

Like I said suffering for one's art...I think I have earned my model railway stripes!!

• Like 6