Hornby repair

Rate this question

cathal

Question

3 answers to this question

Much depends on the nature of the work. Is it cosmetic (paintwork or body damage), or is it mechanical (motor, gears and so on).

Also, what are the models, specifically? Older stuff is probably easier to repair, being essentially simpler. Modern models are wonderful, but can be complex and not so easily fixed.

• Informative 1

On 1/10/2022 at 6:15 PM, cathal said:

Hi all looking for some one in Ireland who repairs hornby models I've a couple that need a bit of tlc and I'm reluctant to bin them yet. Can anyone help

Originally posted April 2020.......

I have very recently purchased an old Triang/Hornby DMU cheap as chips, purely for the motor bogie. This however had the old 'Super 4' chunky wheels. To get replacement wheels I tried contacting a couple of parties that were recommended to me, but none even replied. Then I saw this guy advertising in the 'Railway Modeller'.

Dave Good, trading as "Scalespeed", 32 Goldfinch Lane, Lee on Solent, Hants PO13 8LN. His website is www.scalespeed.co.uk.

I sent him all four of my T/H DMU power bogies. For about £25 (including P&P) each, all now have Code 100 wheels, have been re-magnatized, re-brushed, cleaned, etc. and he also fitted extra wires to allow electrical pickup from another bogie. Two of them power my two BUT sets, the other two are headed for an MPD and a Class 70 projects which are under way.

He does a big range of motor refurbishment. Turnaround time was about five days.

I can not recommend Dave's services highly enough. 

• Informative 1