141/181 Class and best Bachmann Decoder

Rate this question

Blu Bianco

Question

Hi all,

Just a quick one (hopefully!)

In relation to the above loco (Bachmann commissioned by Murphys Models) I have the recommended Bachmann 36-554 decoder. However, I have not fitted it yet.

I know this is only a 3 function decoder and therefore some of the functions/settings maybe limited.

Its a two part question really:

1. I was just wondering, does anyone know how (if at all) this chip limits the functions on this loco (cab light don't work but other functions do, etc)?

I know theres a 4 function Bachmann decoder out there, 36-557, also.

2. Would this be compatible with the above loco or has anyone fitted it to theirs and how does it compare? I presume an extra function would be enabled.

The reason I'm asking is, I'm considering if the investment in a 36-557 chip would be worthwhile over the 36-554 in the long run?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Hi all,

Just a quick one (hopefully!)

In relation to the above loco (Bachmann commissioned by Murphys Models) I have the recommended Bachmann 36-554 decoder. However, I have not fitted it yet.

I know this is only a 3 function decoder and therefore some of the functions/settings maybe limited.

Its a two part question really:

1. I was just wondering, does anyone know how (if at all) this chip limits the functions on this loco (cab light don't work but other functions do, etc)?

I know theres a 4 function Bachmann decoder out there, 36-557, also.

2. Would this be compatible with the above loco or has anyone fitted it to theirs and how does it compare? I presume an extra function would be enabled.

The reason I'm asking is, I'm considering if the investment in a 36-557 chip would be worthwhile over the 36-554 in the long run?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.

The 141s do not have cab lights. The 3 function decoder covers all the needs for these locos.

However, these chips do not support 'advanced consisting', so if you plan to double head your locos correctly then you would have to look at something like the TCS decoder. The 4 function decoder would be compatible with the loco (All Bachmann stuff complies with the NMRA standard) but I'm not sure if it does support 'advanced consisting'.

Of course if you do not plan to double head your Baby GMs then the 3 function decoder is fine. Or you could just give both locos the same number and run them in tandem.

Thank you very much Warbonnet, thats been really helpful.

As it covers the necessities, I will make use of the Bachmann 3 function decoder! As for double heading, if I wish to, I will program the locos the same.

The 141s do not have cab lights. The 3 function decoder covers all the needs for these locos.

However, these chips do not support 'advanced consisting', so if you plan to double head your locos correctly then you would have to look at something like the TCS decoder. The 4 function decoder would be compatible with the loco (All Bachmann stuff complies with the NMRA standard) but I'm not sure if it does support 'advanced consisting'.

Of course if you do not plan to double head your Baby GMs then the 3 function decoder is fine. Or you could just give both locos the same number and run them in tandem.