what is this part of the 42' container car for

Rate this question

MAL

Question

The container car has this part on one side.

What is it for?

In 1990 I did not see notice any container car - just the MK3s, Cravens, some Fertilizer trains and the trains at Heuston & the DART DMUs.

image.png.cffd136048050f6553c538dd13088f7c.png

Thanks in advance for any support.

PS: I hope it is not illegal to use a modified screenshot of an IRM picture here.

Edited by MAL

2 answers to this question

Locking bars to prevent unauthorised opening of the container while sitting on the wagon in a freight yard.

Edit: You wouldn't have seen much freight during the day though there was still plenty of freight on the system in 1990. The liner trains with the containers on them mostly started to run late evening and into the night as passenger services stopped.

Edited by murphaph
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to know. I think this part is not fixed to one end of the flatcar. Otherwise the container would have to be turned before placing on the flat.

You're right. I did not see then freight trains - I heard them by night. First when we were B&B near Killarney (north of Killarney if I remember right). Never saw a train by day.

• Like 1