DCC points & signals question...

Rate this question

billyboy

Question

Hi lads,

I bought a Prodigy Advance accessory decoder a few years back and finally getting around to plugging it into the DCC bus to run a few points .

I have what I think are twin coil Peco point motors that were from an older DC layout built by the Father of a lad I know.

Anyway I have the motors working on a test rig but what I want to do is if possible put on signal  lights I also inherited from the same guy into the mix.

So far as I can see the motors are activated by a pulse signal  to flip the points  and there isn't a  constant 12V\16V pushing through to power the lights  which I think would be about right .

It will work with slow motion point motors & signal lights  according to the manual .

Anybody know a way around this?

I'm an electrical novice so may be missing something blazingly obvious.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by billyboy
typo
  • Like 1

1 answer to this question

One method would be to install microswitches under the point, either operated by the throwbar or by some part of the point motor. The switches would be on-off and could be used to switch a sepperate 12V power supply to LED lamps. Make your own mounts or buy them if you can find ones to fit your motors - example here: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/233325153647