Hornby R618 Double Isolating Track - Accessories

Rate this question

Blu Bianco

Question

Before I get down to the job of programming my loco's, and to be prepared for it, I presume I would need the Hornby R047 'On-Off' lever frame switch to plug into the connector on the R618 Isolating Track to operate it properly?

Or do you think it would be safer just buying a piece of separate power track and wiring it from the power unit?

Or how do you guys with DCC find the best way to do it?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Programming on a separate track is always the best way to go.

I would agree.

I have a siding set up as a programming track. I have DPDT switch which allows me to switch it from programming track to main track power so I can drive a loco onto the

programming track, switch over to programming mode then drive it back out.

There is also a "dead" section in between the programming track and mainline. This length of track has no power when the switch is set to the programming track which stops a loco from driving onto the track while it is in programming mode. Apparently this can really bugger your DCC system if it happens!

I would agree.

I have a siding set up as a programming track. I have DPDT switch which allows me to switch it from programming track to main track power so I can drive a loco onto the

programming track, switch over to programming mode then drive it back out.

There is also a "dead" section in between the programming track and mainline. This length of track has no power when the switch is set to the programming track which stops a loco from driving onto the track while it is in programming mode. Apparently this can really bugger your DCC system if it happens!

Thanks irishthump.

Yeah, there was no way I was going to program it on the main layout. I think that would turn the decoder into toast, very expensive toast at that, haha.

My choice is between doing what you do, with a siding and a switch, or just buying a separate bit of power track (not connected to the layout, and away from the layout) and wiring it from the power unit.