Choo choo go boom boom

Rate this topic

LNERW1

Apart from the fatality and the injuries, this one was an interesting case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Stafford_rail_crash

The chaos of the immediate response and the madness of trying to negotiate the responsibilities through the maze of privatised owners and service providers were (hopefully) salutary lessons.

The chap who lived in the house that the 86 hit was a friend of a friend. He had been out earlier to clear off a load of kids kicking a football against his wall - he heard the thud of the loco hitting the outside skin of his cavity wall and went out to tell them off again, only to find "a railway engine, with a bloke still in it".

The legal cases went on for years and were never really resolved completely.

Edited by Broithe

On 5/2/2024 at 7:09 PM, Broithe said:

Apart from the fatality and the injuries, this one was an interesting case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Stafford_rail_crash

The chaos of the immediate response and the madness of trying to negotiate the responsibilities through the maze of privatised owners and service providers were (hopefully) salutary lessons.

The chap who lived in the house that the 86 hit was a friend of a friend. He had been out earlier to clear off a load of kids kicking a football against his wall - he heard the thud of the loco hitting the outside skin of his cavity wall and went out to tell them off again, only to find "a railway engine, with a bloke still in it".

The legal cases went on for years and were never really resolved completely.

Wow, erm…

I was thinking more of model accidents when I started the topic, but now you mention it, the incident, referred to as Rickerscote, was the focus of the excellent podcast Signals To Danger, one of my favourite podcasts. I’d definitely recommend checking it out.

also, here’s a video I found in the depths of my photo library recently, of a Tri-Ang Jinty that seems to not particularly care about my phone (I couldn’t stop it from slamming into my phone for whatever reason)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1