Seep points

Rate this question

controller

Question

Hi Lads, I am having a problem with Seep points I am trying to install, to operate a set of Peco large radius points. I am using a Gaugemaster DCC33 point decoder with CDU. I am trying to operate two PM1 Seep points. I am operating a DCC Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2. Everything is wired up as it should be. The problem is, the points are not getting enough power from the CDU in the point decoder. I am using heavy enough wire from the decoder to the points as advised. They are about 1ft,and 10 ins, long. Is there a way I can connect another CDU, or would that blow the whole thing to pieces?. The bar is only moving about one eight of a inch or less either way.

Thanks,

Controller.

4 answers to this question

Firstly I would check that the point can actually move all the way, without the point motor. Then check the motor to see if it, without power, can be moved all the way it needs too.

If both of them are ok, then wire up the motor, without being attached to the point and see if it fires properly.

If all of that is ok, it's probably not getting enough voltage, which likely means the CDU isn't working properly. Check the capacitors to see if they are warped/ballooned out/leaking. If they look ok, put everything back together, and measure the voltage and amp's when you activate the point. You'll want to see at least 16v and 2amps.

Thanks RF, I was nice of you to get back to me. I managed to solve the problem. I removed the spring which was holding the bar on the motor. I believe it is used for latching the motor. It is a very strong springe and was stopping the motor from closing properly. The CDU is powerful enough to operate the motor both ways, and the points I am using are self latching so all is working well. Thanks again.

Controller.

• Like 1

I would recommend contacting Gaugemaster for their advice on the problem.

The Seep point motors may be drawing more current than the Prodigy Advance 2 3amp rating.

I experienced similar problems attempting to control Seep point motors with a Lenz accessory decoder, and no problems using the same set up to control Peco point motors.

In the end I controlled the Seep motors using a bank of second hand Hornby passing contact switches (https://uk.hornby.com/products/point-motor-passing-contact-switch-black-r044) using an independent power supply. Peco produce a similar/slightly cheaper switch.

Thanks John, Appreciate the advice. At the moment I only have one straight section of track with a pair of crossover points. They are working fine, so fingers crossed. If I was not using self latching points, this would not have worked. I don't understand why the spring on the Seep points needs to be so strong, but I am no expert. Maybe all points are like that. Seep are the only ones I have bought so far. I hope to add some more track in the weeks and months to come. So I will keep in mind your advice. Thanks again.

Controller.