newbie looking a bit of advice

Rate this question

djpk1

Question

hi all, im looking a bit of advice , my young lad wants us to get into the model scene as we spend most of our summer together in our caravan, i was thinking about a mid 80's set up as i love all things 80's and would really give him a hand with it if that was the case,i have plenty of space as i have access to a few family members caravans which are rarely used lol but dont want to go over the top so if anyone has any words of wisdom about where i should start it would be great.i would love to say moneys no object but ive just restored a 1985 raleigh burner for him and that set me back £600(told ya i love the 80's lol) so i was thinking a couple of hundred quid to get started-please let me know if that is unrealistic?

thanks in advance

paul

p.s. the young lads 10

3 answers to this question

The 80's was indeed a great era, and you'll fine IR liveried irish rail locomotives, coaches, etc, fairly handily. In terms of budget though, you are looking at at least 100 euro for a loco (then around 30-50 per coach) before you buy track or a controller?

One option might be the Bachmann Irish DMU train set? You get a loop of track, a controller and a DMU....

thanks for the quick reply

they dont really have to be the irish livered trains just something that fits the era

i have been looking on e-bay but should i buy a new set?

would the hornby intercity fit the timescale im looking?

thanks again for your help

paul