Arklow Station Display

Rate this topic

Sulzer201

Hi all,

was in Arklow a couple of weeks back, had a look at the station and got a few pics (sorry about quality as original photos are behind glass), of the photographs of the model display of the station. I don't know who is responsible but it is amazing work and captures an era when Arklow was a busy and interesting rail head. Sadly on my visit the once busy oil and cement siding has been reduced greatly in length under the CTC programme and with it, one long loop off the main line remains. It was in that cement depot siding that they used to store the craven set off the evening commuter service from Connolly, in the days when locos were scarce the small gm would run light back to Dublin following the evening Rosslare service, later when they could afford to leave the motive power, a GM might be heard humming away through the late hours if it was risky to shut them down overnight. Today, apart from the odd visit of the auto ballast train and 071s, the 22K and 2900s dominate all the rosters and on the day I visited 22 226 arrived with the Dublin-Rosslare Sunday afternoon service. The leading driving car seemed to be missing the fairing that covers one of the warning horns.

055.jpg

043.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg