Cabra Cement Sidings

Rate this question

iarnrod

Question

Would anyone have photos of Cabra Cement Sidings that show the buildings that once existed on the site? I have sufficient photos of the silos to construct these, and a few of the signal cabin, but its the two other buildings that once existed between the silo and where the signal cabin would have been located that seem to have been camera shy, as all I can find is photos that show them far off in the background. All I have at present is a rough idea of the external shape of these buildings. An interior shot of the signal cabin would also be good.

Pretty sure I have stumbled across any photos that currently exist online of this location.

Think a couple of railtours maybe visited this location back in CIE days or even unofficial visits by enthusiasts happened back then, so someone may have some old shots lying around that they might be willing to share. Any help greatly appreciated. PM me if you dont wish to post stuff on the forum. Thanks.

Edited by iarnrod

2 answers to this question

Not sure if you can access this thread from Irish Railways Past and Present Facebook Group, but there is a bit in this about Cabra that may be of interest:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2023219001234153&set=gm.886205991532760&type=3&theater&ifg=1

If the cabin being referred to is the old hip roof GSWR one, that wasn't a cabin from the 1930's but I would guess was used by the local staff as accommodation. One of the huts nearer Glasnevin was the 1930's "cabin" which housed the equipment relating to the then new colour lights. 

11 minutes ago, BSGSV said:

Not sure if you can access this thread from Irish Railways Past and Present Facebook Group, but there is a bit in this about Cabra that may be of interest:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2023219001234153&set=gm.886205991532760&type=3&theater&ifg=1

If the cabin being referred to is the old hip roof GSWR one, that wasn't a cabin from the 1930's but I would guess was used by the local staff as accommodation. One of the huts nearer Glasnevin was the 1930's "cabin" which housed the equipment relating to the then new colour lights. 

Thanks BSGSV.

Aware of that FB thread. Some good information in it as regards signalling. Discovered a while back that the signal cabin wasn't actually the signal cabin and the smaller adjacent shed was actually where the signalling equipment was housed. Strange setup.