Slow running railcar - DCC

Rate this question

MikeO

Question

I have a German N Gauge  ET87 railcar which does not increase its speed after speed step 14 although it is set for 28/128 speed step running. It is by Trix and has a Ct Electronics decoder version 59. The model is about 10 years old but did not come with the  information you now get about CVs. I cannot find anything only line to help with the CV settings although decoder version 76 seems close in terms of default values.

The default settings for those which I think are affecting the speed are

CV 2 = 3

CVs 3 and 4 = 4

CV 5 = 0

CV 6 = 0

CV 29 = 2

CV 50 = 255

CV 51 = 120

CV 52 = 60

CV 64 = 100

CV 116 = 0

I changed some of the CVs including setting CV 29 to 6 but no difference. I have reset the decoder a few times to the factory settings but again no change. It almost seems like it is stuck on half speed.

Has anyone any thoughts on the issue.

MikeO

2 answers to this question

CV5 is the max speed. My decoders (also from CT) have CV5 set to 255. CV6 is the mid range speed. Should be set to 50 or something between CV2 and CV5.

If you change CV29 to 6 you enable it to run in analog mode (if supported). If this works, then you can see if it runs faster this way. Or even better, do you have the blanking plate to replace the decoder? Then you can really check how the railcar works by itself.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input Sven. It did not come with a blanking plate but I may later change CV 29 back to 6 and try it on my analog track.

My understanding is that setting a CV at 0 or 255 is the same thing ie it means use max speed,  therefore to me setting CV 6 to 0 is a strange thing for the manufacturer to do.